Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Porcini and Parmesan Risotto

I've fallen in love. As soon as I opened the package of dried porcini, I knew that we would be happy together for the rest of our lives.The aroma of the dried mushrooms is amazingly meaty and powerful, yet has some delicately earthy notes.
Although the porcinis were fabulous in the potstickers, this risotto really gives them the room to show their true flavor. The parmesan added at the end adds a lovely nuttiness to it and to the overall creaminess of the dish.
I'm betting you'll love this dish as much as I did...

Porcini Risotto

Porcini and Parmesan Risotto
6 c vegetable stock
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp finely chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups arborio rice
1 oz dried porcinis
2 c hot water
freshly ground black pepper
salt
1 c freshly grated Parmesan

Soak mushrooms in water for 30 minutes. Drain, saving water, squeeze out excess from mushrooms, and chop.
Bring the broth to a simmer in a small saucepan next to where you are cooking the risotto.
In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, and cook until translucent, but not brown. Add garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Add rice, and stir until it is well coated with oil mixture. Continue to stir until it takes on a golden color.
Add 1/2 c of the hot broth. Cook, stirring constantly but slowly, scraping bottoms and sides, until all moisture is gone. When there is no more liquid, add another 1/2 c of broth. Continue stirring and adding broth for about 10 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms, and 1/2 of the mushroom soaking water. Stir until all liquid is gone, then add more soaking water. Continue until all soaking water is gone. Continue with broth, until rice is very tender, yet still firm to the bite. Once all liquid is gone, remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste, the remaining butter, and the parmesan cheese. Stir well and serve immediately.

10 comments:

Special Sauce said...

I want some of this so badly I could practically cry. I WILL be making it this weekend. Probably sooner. And I will eat it all myself, if I have to, because the non-mushroom eaters in the house will have to get over it.

Yum.

Anonymous said...

I'm no mushroom fan, but I do love porcinis.

Anonymous said...

looks delicious. I don't see an email address, I'd love to pick your brain about something...

Maddie
maddiemad@gmail.com

Cate said...

Mmmmm, that looks simply divine!

K Allrich said...

This is my kind of comfort food! [Beautiful photo, too.] YUM.

Fiber said...

Thanks for the compliments. I guarantee you it's every bit as tasty as it looks.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

oh gosh, this too..I should work on no longer being a homemade risotto virgin.

Haalo said...

This looks perfect!

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Ky vu + poker Bontril sunday delivery Luverne running board saab dealer top rated software downloads popup blocker