Thursday, December 28, 2006

Chili Garlic Edamame

I've had edamame a few times in the past, but I didn't fall in love with it until I had it at Nectar (which is an exceptional restaurant, and is amazingly close to the restaurant I've always dreamed of opening). They do a simple quick stir in a wok and serve it with some delicious sauces. After tasting it there, I immediately came home and tried to recreate it. I've gotten pretty close, and I often like to whip it up* for a quick and fairly healthy snack.

But this morning, as I was flipping through this month's current issue of Gourmet, I saw a recipe for edamame that I just knew I needed to try. The following is my variation, and includes one of my new favorite things, chili garlic sauce. This is a relatively simple recipe to whip up, and would make a fabulous appetizer.


As an aside, please bear with me as I learn the techniques and settings on the new camera.


Chili Garlic Edamame

Chili Garlic Edamame
1 lb frozen edamame, in pods
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp chili garlic sauce
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp minced ginger

Steam edamame in microwave until slightly warm and not frozen. (You can do this one of 2 ways - I have a microwave steamer that I use, or even easier is throwing the edamame in a ziploc bag with about a tbsp of water, sealing it, leaving a small opening for steam, and heating it on high for 2 minutes) Drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce. Heat a large wok over high heat. Add oil, and saute ginger for 15 seconds. Add edamame and stirfry for 1 minute. Add sauce, and stirring frequently, cook for an additional 1-2 inutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, place in serving dish, and enjoy!

*This is the easiest way to make tasty edamame - steam in microwave as above. Heat 1 tsp of sesame oil in wok over high heat. Add edamame, season with Adobo or any other salt seasoning blend, and stirfry for 1-2 minutes, until heated through.

8 comments:

gray la gran said...

this sounds yummy! and thank you very much for including a link for the chili garlic sauce. it certainly helps to have a visual when shopping for an unusual ingredient.
happy holidays to you!

Dr. Melissa West said...

Now, I've never been a huge fan of endame myself, but this looks good! I will definitely try it.

Harmonia said...

That looks and sounds really good! Great pic! I need to do more with edamame

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful. But you only eat the beans inside, right? How do you taste the sauce?

Sorry for the anonymous comment, having trouble signing into blogger.

Vicki said...

I just made these, and we're in the process of eating them. I will definitely make these again...and again...and again!

Anonymous said...

I cannot get enough of these, I make them at least 3 times a week. I have also used the sauce to glaze tofu. Thank you sooooo much for the recipe.

SteamyKitchen said...

great idea to toss with chili garlic sauce!

jlvk said...

I'll eat the beans inside, the green hairy pod skin which traps the sauce and spit out the tough membrane... yummy.