Thursday, December 07, 2006

Soto Ayam with Baby Bella & Tofu Wontons

I love the food blogging community. Not only are there plenty of excellent food bloggers, but there are incredible readers who provide much inspiration. From time to time, someone will send me a recipe, asking me to give it a try or make it vegetarian. Since I always love a challenge, I truly enjoy these requests.

A few weeks ago, someone sent me a link to this recipe for Soto Ayam. Soto Ayam is a traditional Indonesian soup that usually includes chicken and peanuts. My original thought was to just use the broth, and include some fresh veggies. But as I was standing in the grocery store, I saw some lovely baby portabella mushrooms and knew in which direction I needed to head.

The tofu and mushrooms, touched with fresh lemon zest and ginger, are a winning combination, and when added to this exotically-flavored broth, make a perfect dish. This is a recipe that any fan of East Asian cuisine will enjoy and appreciate.

Soto Ayam with Baby Bella Tofu Wontons

Soto Ayam with Baby Bella & Tofu Wontons
Wontons
1 (14oz) pkg extra-firm tofu
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 scallions, white parts only, diced
2 c diced baby portabella mushrooms
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (optional)
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 pkgs wonton skins

Soto Ayam
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp light molasses
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp extra-crunchy peanut butter

Prepare wontons first. Remove tofu from package and drain. Wrap tofu in paper towels; place on a plate, cover with cutting board with canned goods on top. Let drain about 30 minutes. Place into food processor with ginger, garlic, and scallions. Process until well combined. Place into large bowl with remaining wonton ingredients. Fold into wontons, following directions on back of wonton skin package. Recipe makes 48 wontons. Reserve 12-18 for soup. The rest can be frozen by placing onto a baking sheet and placed into the freezer until frozen, then stored in plastic bags until needed.
In a large saucepan, add stock, soy sauce, molasses, lemon juice, and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Whisk in peanut butter, bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes. Drop in wontons, and boil for 5-8 minutes, until tender. Serve and enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my this sounds good enough to make me grateful for more freezing weather *grin*. During our recent cold snap I made nothing but hot or spicy soups, stews and chowders with various hot peppers, cayenne powder, chili pastes, chili powders, curry powders, curry pastes, masalas, smokey hot paprikas, Vietnamese sweet and hot pastes, tumeric etc.

You're very ambitious. I don't think I'd make my own wontons, but other than that, I'll be making this sometime soon, with perhaps an addition of Thai mint basil (not sure of the correct botanical name). I find it a perfect topping for these scrumptious Asian-style soups.

Susan Voisin said...

Lovely photo! I like how you caught the steam rising. Oh, and the recipe looks great too!

Anonymous said...

i'm always amazed by how you present your dishes. i love how you've dished up your soto ayam wontons and i am particularly interested in knowing how you've created the green little curl you've topped it with. (spring onion??)

Fiber said...

Pony - thanks for the inspiration. The wontons are actually very easy to make, and took me about 20 minutes to make all 48, which isn't too bad. And you're right about the thai basil - it would be a tasty addition.

SusanV - thanks! You can't see the steam as much as I intended, but you get the idea. =)

Caoricci - thanks for the compliments! The curls are spring onion, sliced thinly and then I run the back of my knife across them. They curl just like ribbon if you don't press too hard.

Vanessa said...

I agree with SusanV - lovely photo (as always!) What a wonderful recipe too - can't wait to try one of these blustery days.

Anonymous said...

I always add an extra hot pepper or couple shots of Tabasco to my soup when I think I'm coming down with a cold.

Suddenly I can breathe! And I'm told the sweating is good for colds too, something about the toxins being sweated out of you. I don't know why I look for more excuses to enjoy these soups; great taste should be enough.

There's another soup I like putting lots of Tobasco or cayenne in, but only do it for me. Try it in the milky clam chowder. Sensational.

Anonymous said...

thanx for the great tip fiber!! i'll definitely try it out some time :)

Anonymous said...

the original soto ayam recipe actually doesn't contain peanuts at all. it's usually made of chicken broth with traditional spices like coriander, cumin, tumeric, galanga, lemongrass, etc. The soup is clear & consisted of mung bean noodles, chicken, scallions, potato crisp, sliced cooked egg.
i didn't mean to critize you though, just a little note since i grew up in indonesia :)