Friday, December 01, 2006

Cannellini Bean Hummus with Artichokes and Feta

So you know I've got a thing for hummus. And although I've made quite a few variations, I've never branched out into the cannellini-bean-hummus arena.

I've had a can of cannellini beans in my pantry for a bit, as well as a nice can of artichoke hearts, so I thought I'd try something with them. I must admit, I was rather surprised at how tasty the result was. Although cannellini beans and canned artichokes can be a bit dull, the lemon juice and feta cheese help to liven it up. This is another great recipe for entertaining that won't make you feel like you need to loosen your belt.

White Bean Artichoke Feta Spread

Cannellini Bean Hummus with Artichokes and Feta
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled

Combine beans, artichokes, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning in a food processor. Process until well combined. In medium bowl, place crumbled feta cheese. (I used a potato masher to crumble it a bit more and get rid of the larger chunks) Add pureed mixture, and stir until well combined. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours until flavors develop. Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or fresh veggies.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

glorious presentation, fiber! spectacular (bet it tastes good too)!

Nabeela said...

oh what a great idea to use feta in hummus...thank you!!

Anonymous said...

yum, thanks for the recipe!