Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Carrot & Cilantro Raita

The other night, I was watching one of those cooking shows and the topic was Indian food. There's not much I love more than Indian food, so my interest was definitely piqued. One of the dishes made included a raita on the side, and I knew I wanted to give it a try. Raita is a typical South Asian sauce that is excellent with spicy foods. The cooling effect of the yogurt is the perfect complement to the spicy factor of most Indian foods.

This is a great little quick-and-easy dip. I made this in about 10 minutes, and it's got a lovely complex flavor, despite the recipe's easy and short ingredient list. Serve with samosas, curries, or spread on pita.

Carrot & Cilantro Raita

Carrot & Cilantro Raita
1/4 carrot, finely shredded
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 c water
1/2 c yogurt
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp cilantro, finely minced

Place carrot, garlic, paprika, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer until all water is evaporated. Cool slightly. Place in small bowl. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Yum! This looks so good, and perfect for holiday parties.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love raita with spicy Indian food, but I have only had cucumber raita before...this sounds like a yummy alternative! :)

Valerie said...

I can't remember exactly how I found your blog, but it is wonderful. Your food photography is amazing. I made your Smoky Sage Lentil Soup tonight for dinner and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa said...

This is beautiful and would make a wonderful table with a quick spicy curry & naan. yum!