Monday, September 17, 2007

Kalamata Olive Hummus

I know, I know - you're going to start thinking I'm only a one-trick pony that is only capable of making hummus. But this one was a request by a dear friend of mine, so I felt compelled to give it a try.

I love olives. They are one of those food things that I hated growing up, but the older I got, the more I really started to appreciate them. A good loaf of Kalamata olive bread or some nicely marinated olives will definitely hit the spot. And quite often, when I make my hummus wraps with fresh veggies in a pita, I often toss in a few olives. It's only natural that an olive hummus would be amazing, right??

And I was right. The saltiness of the calamatas are perfect with the chickpeas, and it makes a lovely little dip for fresh veggies or spread on crackers. Go ahead and try this latest variation of hummus - I promise you'll like it! And Bethany, this one was for you.

Kalamata Olive Hummus

Kalamata Olive Hummus
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp brine from olive container
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garam masala
A generous 1/4 c of chopped Kalamata olives

In a food processor, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, brine, olive oil, salt, and garam masala until creamy, or desired texture. Stir in olives. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two for flavors to mix together.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! Kalamatas are one of my favorite olives. You truly are the queen of hummus!

Sarah C. said...

OMG! I just made the cilantro and jalapeno hummus. It is so good! Stay proud! Keep posting those hummus recipes. :)

eviedee said...

This sounds absolutely delicious! I actually have all the ingredients necessary to whip up a batch of my own. Hooray! Thanks Fiber!

Cynthia said...

You bet I'm going to be making this soon! Thank you Oh Queen of the Mighty Hummus :)

Deborah Dowd said...

This sounds like great twist on hummus! You're more like a Lippizaner than a one trick pony!

Anonymous said...

Looks AMAZING!!!!! I'm going to have to make it, that is, unless someone I know (hint hint) will share hers! -Bethany

Tere said...

OMG - {drool}

Carla said...

Have you considered publishing a hummus cookbook? You'd be perfect for the job :)

I love love love olives!!! I never would have thought to put them into hummus. I'll be sure to try this and your other recipes. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love olives. This sounds delicious and very easy. I will be keeping this one in my list of things to try.