Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Marinated Olives

This, is by far, one of my most requested recipes, and one of my most favorite snacks. The combination of flavors in these is unlike any other I've ever tried, and they are extremely tasty.

You can use almost any combination of olives you prefer. I normally use whatever interests me at the grocery store - this time, I used some jalapeno-stuffed green olives, some kalamatas, and some plain black and small green olives. The other key ingredient to these is good quality olive oil. I once used an off brand, and it almost ruined them.

This is also my weekly post to be included in Kalyn's Kitchen's Weekend Herb Blogging, which always turns up some really fantastic recipes.

Marinated Olives

Marinated Olives

1/2 c fresh tarragon, minced
1/4 c fresh thyme, leaves only, minced
5 flat anchovies, minced (optional, although if you're not opposed to fish, I would recomment putting them in)
4 c olives, mixed varieties
1 c good quality light-tasting olive oil
1/2 c fennel bulb, thinly sliced (sometimes called anise)
2 tbsp minced onions
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp anise seed
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp black pepper

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. These really should marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24-48 hours before enjoying.

13 comments:

Special Sauce said...

And let me tell you how totally awesome they are. The little container of these little green and black gems that Fiber brought in are coming home with me, and nobody else is allowed to touch them. With some delicious sharp cheese, and nice bread, they'll make a good little dinner.

Michele said...

I think my husband would love these, he really likes olives. They look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

These look fantastic. Clearly great minds think alike as I posted a recipe for marinated olives on my blog as well1

Catherine said...

yum! jalapeno-stuffed olives - I'll have to look for those. This sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Wow..Looks really really yummy..Its indeed a treasured recipe

jae said...

i have that same bowl - ikea, yes?
actually it's featured in the photo on my blog today! full of sweet potato with a cinnamon drizzle!

rinaz said...

Ooh mmmm ... being asian, we dont really eat much olives but this sounds pretty appetizing as it is already :)

Kalyn Denny said...

I bookmarked the recipe before I even read it all, that's how good it looked to me. Yum.

Fiber said...

Thanks for all the lovely compliments!

Special Sauce said...

And P gets to have his hands smacked, but not hard. Sure, he ate most of my bowl of olives, but did beg for the recipe so he could make more.

I think I'll forgive him, so long as he brings me more.

Ilva said...

This sounds great!

cookiecrumb said...

Oh, I would just be scooping these up with a spoon.

Anonymous said...

I can't resist these olives, they look so good!