Monday, April 03, 2006

Spicy Lentil Dal

This is another one of those great Indian dishes, loaded with flavors, yet also a great comfort food. I wanted to find something to use up the leftover cauliflower I had, and I haven't made lentils in awhile, so this dish was perfect. The lime juice and cilantro added at the end completely bring this alive!

By the way, if you have any of that harissa left over, a little would be perfect on top.

Spicy Lentil Dal

Spicy Lentil Dal

1 tbsp olive oil
1 c onion, diced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 c cauliflower florets
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
2 1/4 c water
1 c dried lentils
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
3/4 tsp salt

Heat olive oil in large pan. Add onion, ginger, cumin seeds, turmeric, crushed red pepper, and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add cauliflower and can of tomatoes (drained, reserving liquid) to pan, and stir. Saute for 1 minute. Add tomato juice, water, and lentils. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 35 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat, stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
Serve over basmati rice.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! My Indian husband will love this when I make it tonight. I'm trying to see from your photo though - what kind of lentils did you use? Looks like they're holding together fairly well so I'm guessing the green type. I may make it with red dal so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Fiber said...

You're right - I used the green lentils. I'm sure it would work well with the red, although the texture might be softer.

Harmonia said...

I can't get enough dhal...eventhough the stuff I've been getting was from the WHole Foods Frozen section.

I am searching for EZ recipes...I might have to try this one! Thanks!

Mindy T. said...

We're on the same wavelength, Fiber. I've been cooking curry for weeks now, trying to stay warm, and just posted about kicharee, the therapeutic dal and basmati rice and veggie stew that hails from India. And lately I've been absolutely craving chai...

http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Loved it. Seriously. It was perfect for lunch today. I sure do love me some spicy food.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night. It was delcious. I did have to add quite a bit of water though, as the lentils weren't immersed, so the ones on top weren't getting cooked. I added the cauliflower after the lentils had been cooking for about 20 mins., so it wouldn't get too mushy. I used 8 cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of fresh ginger. Oh and instead of the dried pepper, I used 3 Thai bird chilies.
Great recipe. I will make it again and maybe try red lentils or chickpeas next time.

Chef TinaMarie said...

This sounds great! My partner loves Indian food. I THink I will surprise her with it this weekend...THanx.. :)~

Traci Anerson said...

MMMMMM!!! I already have a pot of lentils cooking but now want to add some cauliflower, lime juice and maybe some curry powder. Thank you for this. I have blogmarked your site!

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP pay per click http://www.vitaline-vitamins.info Commercial boat insurance plan Insurance mortgage broker Big breasts bras national lottery fax machines health insurance company packages cruise adware removal Quarter mile times for 1990 nissan skyline gtr Cannon printer drivers