Monday, April 10, 2006

Moroccan Carrot Hummus

I was recently asked by some readers to provide some uses for the harissa sauce I made earlier this month. Harissa is such a tasty sauce, and although I haven't cooked much with it, and use it primarily as a hot sauce to go on top of things, I think it will do well in a variety of dishes. Over the next few days, I intend to monkey around with it and see what comes up.

Trying this recipe, I was a bit skeptical, as I had never tried any hummus that didn't have a chickpea base. But I figured the texture and sweetness of a cooked carrot might just be the perfect base for a tasty spread.

I must admit it is very tasty, and is also extremely healthy, which is an added benefit. Feel free to increase or decrease the amount of harrisa to suit your tastes.

This is also my entry in Sweetnicks Antioxidant Rich Foods round-up, which happens every Tuesday evening. Make sure you go check it out - it's always a good time!

Moroccan Carrot Hummus

Moroccan Carrot Hummus

1 1/2 lbs baby carrots, peeled and washed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp harissa
1 tsp lemon juice
white pepper and salt to taste

Boil carrots in salted water until tender. Drain, rinse, and cool for a few minutes. Place in blender with olive oil, and puree until it is a cream consistency. Put into a medium bowl, and add garlic, harissa, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Stir well, and chill in refrigerator for a few hours for flavors to combine.

11 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Well if pesto doesn't require basil then certainly hummus needn't demand chickpeas? Fascinating ... quite a collection you've created!

Susan Voisin said...

That looks really good! [filing it away to try later]

Merce said...

this looks amazing! I'm totally going to try it. are those stacy's pita chips? I'm totally addicted to the "naked" ones, and the cinnamon sugar...mmm.

Fiber said...

AK - I guess that makes sense. Plus, who likes to do things the normal way anyway??

Ms. Mercedes - Actually, they are chili-pepper lemon pita chips I picked up at Trader Joes over the weekend. But I normally get Stacy's, since they are stocked in my local grocery store.

Harmonia said...

I always like to see, hear about, and try different Hummi...is that a word? LOL...Hummus!

Looks and sounds GREAT!

Catherine said...

Wow - that's gorgeous! Thanks for the recipe!

Mindy T. said...

This look so simple, wholesome, and delicious that I'm going to break down and finally add harissa in my pantry staples. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://mindycooks.blog.spot

jae said...

so you want us to take the baby carrots and peel them and wash them? i thought 'baby cut carrots' you buy in the store were inherantly washed and cut? i'm confused.
(that being said, the recipe looks good. i want in on all these internety food events - i'll have to go check out the anti-oxidant party.
recently learned nutritional fact: you can't get the vitamin A from the beta-carotene in carrots unless you eat it with some fat. it's because vit A is fat soluble. neat, hey?)

texmex said...

I used to do this for my girls when they were babies (but without the spices), I usually added grated parmesan or emmenthaler, and my husband finished the pot. So this should be a winner here done your way. Ever put some chickpeas to thicken it a bit?

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

Unknown said...

hm... sounds delicious.
i think i know what you mean with baby carrots. when we lived in canada you could buy those really tiny ones packaged. well, here in australia i haven't seen them, but i think it will work just as fine with normal carrots. maybe i'll roast them instead of boiling them, to get a more intense carroty flavour... :-)
thanks for this recipe - great idea!