Sunday, April 09, 2006

Spicy Thai Rice

I'm a huge rice fan. There's something about it that is very comforting to me, and it's not unusual for me to eat only rice for a meal. It's relatively low in fat and calories, and can literally be sent in a thousand directions.

Lately I've been on this Thai and Indian kick. Cilantro and lime are two wonderful flavors, especially when mixed together, and when combined with some Indian spice, you've got yourself a very flavorful dish. This recipe was adapted from one I discovered on the USA Rice Recipe website.

Thai Rice

Spicy Thai Rice
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c chopped red onion
2 fresh thai chilies, seeded and minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cumin seed, freshly ground
1/4 tsp coriander seed, freshly ground
1/8 tsp turmeric
2 c water
1 c long-grain white rice
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
1 tbsp fresh lime juice

Melt butter in saucepan. Add onion, and saute for 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and pepper, and saute an additional 2 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and turmeric, and saute 1 minute. Add rice, stir well, and saute for 3 additional minutes. Add water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover pot, and simmer 20-25 minutes, until done. Stir in cilantro and fresh lime juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

8 comments:

Allie B said...

Mmm, that looks good!

Guinnah said...

That sounds (and looks) like a great rice dish. My younger daughter could live on rice (and did actually for the first few years of her life ;-)). I love the plate too - beautiful red.

K Allrich said...

I'm a huge rice fan as well. And this looks divine. Spice and lime = goodness!

Denise Norman said...

I'm going to try this tonight - that's how good it looks! Thanks for the wonderful recipes. Please check out my food blog as well!

Catherine said...

yum! I'm still learning about chilies - what are the thai chilies?

Anonymous said...

sounds simple and delish. I can see from your other recipes that you love the flavor of lime and cilantro - 2 of my favorite flavors.

lovely pictures!

thanks for visiting my blog. See you around!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info vitamins Villa cardinale bed and breakfast Creative zen micro mp3 5gb player Humidifier consumer ratings Kids flight jackets cruises United states ultracet free consultation buy levitra online http://www.where-to-buy-ultram.info discount mexican pharmacy that sells modafinil or provigil Teen shaved 01010101010101010101010101010101 pontiac sunfire Antivirus nod backpacks for kids

Zookeeper said...

Thanks for this recipe. I skip the butter and use brown rice instead of white. I've made it this way a couple of times now and it turns out great.