Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mushroom Curry

I know I've mentioned before how much I love Indian food. Ever since I had my first Indian meal at a great restaurant in Nairobi, Kenya, I've been hooked. The combination of flavors and spices is almost obscene in its goodness. For me, Indian food is comfort food at its best.

I have also grown to love mushrooms, especially now that I've become a vegetarian. They're meaty and filling, easy to find, and have great flavor. This recipe combines both the spice of Indian food and the greatness of mushrooms. This would make the perfect side dish to another Indian entree or is hearty enough to stand alone as the main event. Another great thing is that this recipe is super easy and can be on the table in about 15 minutes. I like my food more on the spicy side, so if you're heat sensitive, I'd use less jalapenos.

Mushroom Curry II

Mushroom Curry
Serves 4


2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seed
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
4 c mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (I used a mixture of white and baby bella)
2 jalapenos, sliced
1 c onion, chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 c water or vegetable stock
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream

Heat oil over high heat. Add cumin seed and stir for 10 seconds. Add garlic, ginger, mushrooms, jalapenos, and onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Add coriander and garam masala and stir for another 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and water or stock, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and creme fraiche and cook for 1 more minute. Serve over rice or by itself.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious - I might even try it tonight! Don't know if you know this, but all your entries have started coming through the RSS feed as 'Untitled'. Fortunately I now recognize that as one of yours so make sure I click through anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous picture! I want to try some of that right now! Thanks for sharing.

urban vegan said...

I've lived on 42 years of veggie curries, but strangely, the first time I ever had mushroom curry was in India and I am hooked.

Helene said...

Great picture! I am sipping a bowl of your carrot and ginger soup right now. Lovely!

Manggy said...

Oh, I'm so corny. I was looking for "curry powder" among your ingredients. So much for being a gourmet!
I actually had mushrooms curry risotto tonight, how uncanny! Looks really enticing.

Fiber said...

Sarah - thanks for the update. I'll have to figure out why and get it fixed pronto!

Hillary- you bet! Let me know if you try it!

Urban Vegan - this is also my first time with a mushroom curry and I'm deeply in love.

Tartelette - soup sounds good right about now. You'll have to let me know how this turns out for you!

Manggy - I had a few people ask me where the curry powder was in the recipe, so you're not alone! =)

Jody from VegChic said...

Wow, that mushroom curry looks and sound great.

I'm planning to make some sourdough pizza crusts tonight. It might turn into a mushroom curry sourdough calzone!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe-- we loved this. I used oyster mushrooms and button mushrooms; served over millet.

Tom said...

Wow, this stuff is awesome! MY family loved it too, except Kenny, who is terrified of mushrooms. But that just means more curry for me!

Anonymous said...

This was very good with a pleasant aroma. I cut the amount of mushrooms in half and used chicken and it tasted great. Good curry recipes are hard to find.
Thank you!