Monday, September 24, 2007

Roasted Potatoes with Green Olive & Caper Vinaigrette

Here's another dish for you olive lovers out there. I needed a quick side dish and was pawing through my refrigerator when I noticed a forlorn bottle of green olives in the side door. I used them as a basis for this quick little vinaigrette and tossed them with some freshly roasted potatoes. The saltiness of the olives, along with the zing of the fresh lemon, is the perfect combination for this warm salad. The dressing is also versatile enough to toss with salads or other favorite roasted vegetables.

Roasted Potatoes with Green Olive and Caper Vinaigrette

Roasted Potatoes with Green Olive & Caper Vinaigrette
3 cups of potatoes, washed, cut, and roasted
1/2 c green olives, pitted
2 tsp capers, drained
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper

Roast potatoes until crispy and brown. (I normally just toss them in a 375 degree oven with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper for about 30-35 minutes) Coarsely chop olives and capers. Place in a small bowl. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined. Toss desired amount with warm potatoes and serve.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Greek gods will love you and your oily potatoes. I just returned from a two week vacation to Greece and in every restaurant menu was a section known as the "oilies" which can be any vegetable based dish with mega-watt olive oil. Being a vegetarian I was always on the look out for the "oily" section on the menu for oily okra and potatoes, oily eggplant and onions, oily giant baked beans, etc. Too bad your oily potatoes weren't on the menu as I certainly would have ordered them. Long live olive oil :D

p.s. Great blog by the way. I made your delicious spicy pumpkin and black bean soup last night and it's all gone!!!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, I can't believe I've never seen this site before.

Your recipes are making me very upset that I've already started making dinner. I'm adding you to my newsreader immediately!!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. I'm sitting here reading it and I can almost taste it!

Anonymous said...

i do love olives but isn't a meal just an excuse to eat more potatoes? yum!!!!

Anonymous said...

This looks positively fabulous, Fiber -- I think it's a great way to put olives to good use! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I'm surprised more people have though of this before. Looks delicious! Glad I discovered your site :)

Anonymous said...

These sound fantastic. I always have cracked green olives in the fridge, and there are potatoes in the kitchen garden begging to be dug up and turned into this dish!

I just discovered your blog through a BlogHerAds headline link. I can't wait to try your kalamata olive hummus. I'm a huge olive lover, too, and I buy chickpeas by the case. I was tickled to see that your recipe doesn't call for tahini, which I never have on hand. : )

Anonymous said...

wow looks so good! I may just grab a bottle of olives from the supermarket next week ;p

Anonymous said...

The potatoes look good. What a great side dish to almost any dinner.

Thanks,
http://birdfood-sharona.blogspot.com

Sharona May

Rachael said...

I think I'm drooling.

Love potatoes, love lots of oil on potatoes, and love capers. What a great idea to get some salty flavor in there with something other than just salt

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I love the combination of olives and capers. Just love those flavors.

Chris said...

Wow - this has got my name all over it...looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I have a keyboard protector, or I'd have gotten drool all over it! I can't wait to try these!

Anonymous said...

I bookmarked this recipe a while ago, and finally got around to making it tonight. Too bad I waited so long! Absolutely delicious! My whole family loved it, including my very particular 5-year-old (Mommy! These are the best potatoes I've ever had!) I will surely make these potatoes again. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!