Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Lemon Ginger Hummus

Did I mention that I love hummus? Not only is it easy to make, but it's generally a pretty healthy snack as well. It's good with pita chips, polenta crackers, or on a wrap with fresh veggies and sprouts. You can dip fresh veggies in it, or dip into it with tortilla chips. It's pretty versatile.
This recipe was based on a lemon hummus recipe that I got from my good friend E. I added the ginger and a few more things to spice it up a bit, and I think it works well.

Lemon Ginger Hummus

Lemon Ginger Hummus
30 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp tahini
2 T olive oil
2 medium lemons, juiced and zested (or 7 Tbsp lemon juice)
1/2 tsp salt
1" piece of ginger, peeled and minced finely
pepper to taste

Blend chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice until well-combined. (I normally just place these ingredients in a flat bowl and use my potato masher on them. Works really well, and still retains a nice texture.) Stir in salt, ginger, and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so for the flavors to make friends.
Serve and enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh, good call on the lemon and ginger. garbanzos were never so tasty :)

Biognome said...

I love hummus! Thanks for the recipe. Going to make it tonight.

Special Sauce said...

As the aforementioned E in the recipe- I just made this following Fiber's recipe, and it rocks even better than mine did- it's starring in a hummus and tuna wrap for my lunch today.

Mindy T. said...

I write cookbooks and get to invent recipes all day long if I want to. A great job but it won't make you rich (probably, unless you're also a famous chef).

I, too, love hummus and have invented countless variations -- at least I never bothered to count them. The one I posted on my blog today is called Jalisco hummus, 'cause it's made with pumpkin seeds, lime juice, etc. A Mexicali version. If you'd care to check it out, here's my URL: http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

Thanks and keep on cookin'!

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight. I used 3 times the ginger called for and it was really good. Again, thanks for the great hummus recipes (although the sundried tomato/pesto one is the best IMHO)!

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

Holy gosh!!!!..To be honest, I never knew that hummus cud urn out in these many forms...and great snaps tooo..will keep visiting...

Anonymous said...

HI I got to your blog via a link on the readers digest site about hummus. This sounds yummy

http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/7-unique-hummus-recipes/article176608-6.html#slide