Thursday, February 23, 2006

Oatmeal Cookie Granola
To me, this tastes exactly like an oatmeal cookie. It's got the oats, the vanilla, and the spices. Unlike my Gingersnap Granola, this one is definitely a sweeter granola. When you get that craving for something sweet, this is a perfect stand-in for a fat-loaded cookie.
This is also one of those blog posts when you wish you could attach a "scratch and sniff" section to it, because this smells simply divine while cooking.


V Granola

Oatmeal Cookie Granola
4 c oats (or any combination of grains to equal 4 cups)
1/3 c flax seed (optional)
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 T butter
1/3 c honey
4 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine oats, flax, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, melt butter and add honey. Once it starts to simmer, remove from heat and quickly stir in extract. Mix well, and pour over dry mixture. Mix to coat thoroughly, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Place into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until done. Allow to cool, and store in an airtight container.
*Note - granola nuggets form better if you stir the granola as little as possible while baking, and don't stir it at all while it's cooling.



5 comments:

Special Sauce said...

Heh, NOW you tell us about the stirring. Hee. I can't wait to try this in the AM- after hearing about it all afternoon. Yum!

Saun said...

I'm really enjoying your posts. I've been trying to improve my eating habits and move away from meat. This is really helping.

Anonymous said...

Oatmeal cookie is one of my favorite flavors. I dig the whole grains with spices. Great photos on your blog. Thanks for visiting mine. I'll be frequent visitor from here on in.
Cheers!

Fiber said...

Saun - thanks for stopping by. I'm a huge fan of your blog as well!! And not eating meat is a lot easier than you think.

Vanessa - I have to agree with you. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite cookies. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

So yummy! I added 1/4 tsp of cardamom and a 1/4 tsp of ginger to make it Chai inspired---and it came out so good!