Thursday, March 23, 2006

Coconut Date Pudding

Do you ever just want a taste of something sweet, but don't want to have to visit the calorie confessional the next day? I love desserts that are simple to make, yet are low in calories and fat.
This pudding is light and refreshing, and the coconut and date combination is very tasty. Overall, it's not very sweet, so you might need to up the sweetener if you prefer.

Date Coconut Pudding

Coconut Date Pudding

1/2 c dates, finely chopped
1/4 c flake coconut
1 c soymilk
1 c coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 T pure maple syrup or honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c flour

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisking well, bring to a boil. Boil for an additional 2-3 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour, then serve, garnished with coconut.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmh, i'm craving coconut right here and now!
i'm sure there will be another baking boot camp with fran, i'll so be there! :)

Mindy T. said...

Hi (high) Fiber. I love discovering new simple and eggless puddings. This looks like a winner -- and it's a great photo, I might add. I'll be trying it for sure. And thanks for visiting my blog, tra-la...

http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

Susan Voisin said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!

Special Sauce said...

I have to admit the soymilk creeps me out a little, but that pudding looks AWESOME. Did you try grandma's date nut candy when I brought it in at christmas time- it sounds very much like this, but in pudding form. Love it!

Fiber said...

Soymilk is not creepy, I swear! But I'm sure you could substitute almond milk, rice milk, or even *cow's milk* in its place.

jae said...

hate to be the nutritionist here, but this recipe is neither low in calories or fat. coconut is one of the fattiest whole foods out there and consequently coconut milk and flakes also have a high amount of saturated fat (it's 'good' saturated fat mind you, but fat all the same).

the nice thing about this dish, judging from the list of ingredients, is in relation to blood sugar levels - dates are a gentler sugar hit than refined white sugar is, and cinnamon helps to regulate blood sugar levels.

geez, i hate it when people lecture me on my blog, i just thought you might be interested. hope you receive this as such - info, not critisism.