Sunday, March 26, 2006

Cauliflower and Potato Curry
(recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times, April 2006)

I love Indian food. I love everything about it - the fragrant spices, the versatility, the comfort of it. I'm also a huge fan since Indian cuisine includes quite a lot of stand alone high-powered vegetarian dishes.
One of my favorite Indian spices is curry, and I don't think I've had a curry yet that I don't like. This recipe came from the current edition of Vegetarian Times, and is a fairly quick and easy dish to prepare.

Cauliflower Curry

Cauliflower and Potato Curry

2 tsp olive oil
1 1/4 c onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
1 tbsp + 1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 c cauliflower florets
3-4 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced
1 c canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Add curry powder and garlic, and cook 30 seconds, stirring often. Add cauliflower and potates, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until they start to soften. Add tomatoes, 1/4 c cilantro, 1/2 c water, and salt.
Simmer, reduce heat, and cook, covered for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining cilantro and cook, covered, for 2 more minutes.
Serve alone or over rice.

17 comments:

Susan Voisin said...

Gorgeous photo! I can see the steam rising off of it. I love cauliflower in curries and have been planning to make something like this myself.

Michelle said...

excellent pic. i did pick up that issue of Veg Times, so maybe i'll make this dish too!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Freaking yum. I want to make this - minus the cilantro though.

tara said...

What a lovely, absolutely delectable-looking photo! I had to stop by and see how the plate looked!

Fiber said...

Jess - minus the cilantro? *gasp* =)

Tara - thanks! Great minds, great taste, and all that jazz....

Merce said...

wow...love your photography, and your site. I'll be visiting often!

Guinnah said...

Looks absolutely wonderful. We are huge fans of Indian food - they served it at the high school the other day as part of diversity week. My daughter is wishing it was available every day. Thank you for posting this - I'll have to put it in the rotation :-)

lost in thoughts said...

Hi. Surfed here thru Kalyn's Kitchen. Yummy pics.

Special Sauce said...

Mmm. Cilantro.

And you'd be proud. I bought curry powder. I just haven't used it yet. Perhaps this will be the perfect opportunity.

Catherine said...

Hi Fiber,

Yum and a great photo! I guess we both had the same great idea re: cauliflower curry!

Anonymous said...

Love this dish, will certainly try it.

sarchan said...

That looks so delicious. I have that issue; your lovely photo has not given me the incentive to make the recipe.

jae said...

aloo gobi - yum, i was just thinking about this dish myself the other day.
as always, your photo is great. it's a shame photos can't appear in cookbooks as readily as they can on blogs!

Fiber said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
And Jae, I agree - who doesn't love a cookbook loaded with pictures?

Anonymous said...

Trust me ladies and gents. It's fairly amazing. And as curries go, it's not too spicy. So, for all of you who are curry-phobic, this is a great one to start with.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Stumled across your amazing blog. Mean to try lots of the recipes. Just BTW, in India there is no 'curry' spice! Every region has their own mixes of different spices. I got my first can of 'curry powder' from the US this winter! In this particular recipe, the spice combo would likely be whole cumin, turmeric and coriander powders, and ofcourse, the red chilli pwd!

Bobbi said...

I would not have thought of that combination of flavors, but it does indeed sound good, but for me I will use either a green or red curry. Husband likes Indian curry but I am not the biggest fan, just the Malay and the Thai curries. This will be very good for fall when a bit of spice is welcome when it is cooler outside.