Thursday, March 16, 2006

Spiced Applesauce Bread

After a brief vacation, I am back in the kitchen. I wanted something quick to make for breakfast, yet something hearty. I'm not really a bagel or biscuit person, but I'm a sucker for a quickbread. This recipe was based on one I found on one of the many vegetarian groups I belong to.

I love the spice and moistness, and the flax meal really gives it a lovely nutty texture and taste.

Applesauce Bread

Spiced Applesauce Bread
1/2 c flax seed meal
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 c white flour
3/4 c sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1 egg (or egg substitute)
1 c applesauce (I used an apple blackberry sauce)
2 tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in large bowl, and add dry ingredients. Stir until combined, and spread into a greased loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for about an hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
Remove from oven and pan, and cool completely.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm sounds good.
I found you on Blogexplosion by the way.
Take care

Anonymous said...

welcome back :)
spiced applesauce does sound quite good.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Mine just cooled enough to slice and taste. I made another applesauce spice bread earlier this week that I wasn't so fond of. This recipe beats the pants off it. I added a chopped apple, because we have a glut of apples. Delish.

Thanks for sharing!

Fran said...

Looks delicious. Nice recipe. Wonder about adding just a bit of pumpkin butter to it?

Wai Mun said...

Hi there!

Let me introduce myself, I'm Paul, the owner of recipes365.net, I started this weblog recently to showcase a recipe a day everyday. I was wondering would you be interested to be a recipe contributor?

Regards. Paul.

Joe said...

I like the additionals of flax and whole wheat flour!

Cate said...

The bread looks fantastic, and so easy to make ... my kind of recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hi I was browsing your blog, and I think I've also stumbled upon someone using your picture here:
http://cookingdonelight.com/blog/2007/07/20/light-cinnamon-breakfast-bread/

Just letting you know. :)