Monday, March 20, 2006

Falafels with Cilantro and Tahini Sauces

After an intense craving for falafels, I devised this recipe, along with the 2 sauces. Trust me, you might not ever want another strip-mall falafel ever again after trying this one. The flavor of the falafels is the perfect showcase for the spicy cilantro sauce, and the creamy cool tahini sauce.
Although the recipe looks a bit long in the ingredients, trust me when I say it took about 1/2 hour from start to finish, including the frying.

Falafels

Falafels with Cilantro and Tahini Sauces

Falafels
2 c chickpeas, drained
1/2 c onion, finely minced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp flour

Tahini Sauce
1/3 c tahini
1/2 c water
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp salt

Cilantro Sauce
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
pinch sugar
4 oz plain yogurt

Combine all ingredients for falafels in food processor. (Or I just use a potato masher with the beans until nicely smashed, and then handstir in the remaining ingredients. I like to retain some of the texture) Set in refrigerator to chill while making sauces.
Combine all Tahini sauce ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.
(*Note - by itself, right after it's made, this sauce will seem way too overwhelming to be good with anything. Trust me when I say it will become a fabulous member of the entire equation)
Combine all Cilantro sauce ingredients, except for yogurt, in food processor and blend until smooth. Add yogurt, and pulse until well-blended.
Heat oil in heavy frying pan. Make patties of falafel mixture, about 2 tbsp each. Fry on each side until crisp and browned. Drain on paper towels.
Serve falafels in a pita with fresh lettuce, tomato, and onion with both sauces drizzled on top, by themselves with the sauce, or top a salad with them.
Enjoy!

12 comments:

Special Sauce said...

I'll be there at 5:05, I'd like one of the red plates. Should I bring the fixins for a 631 cocktail?

Fiber said...

Sauce - you should know that I can't turn anyone away who comes bearing liquor. Especially if it starts with G and ends with I-N.

Sarah - you bet. The more, the merrier.

Anonymous said...

Man, I have not had falafel in a while. I need to get frying. Things cooked in hot oil? I am SO there!

Pe.tra said...



Yummie ;o)

K Allrich said...

Now you've got ME craving falafel!

Anonymous said...

So you use cooked garbanzoes? every felafel recipe I've ever used is based on dried, soaked beans. Is the mixture harder to hadle? Is the consistency different?

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

How can falafel be so beautiful?

Fiber said...

Anonymouse - I actually just used canned garbanzos. The texture was just fine, and I didn't think it was hard to handle at all.

Haalo said...

Falafels are so addictive and seeing these I can just feel those cravings starting.

Deeba PAB said...

These are great recipes...I have to make them soon. Got here after looking for pitas on 'Fresh From The Farm'.Lovely post!

Deeba PAB said...

I made pita with falafel, kebabs & cottage cheese ( 3 options) on Sunday & used your coriander yogurt sauce recipe. Fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!

Maggie said...

I made these with a whole-wheat version of the pita from Straight from the Farm. I don't like cilantro, so I made a similar sauce with some of the parsley. But we felt the tahini sauce was plenty of flavor! My sister flipped for these! Thanks for a great recipe.