Monday, January 23, 2006

Quinoa Chowdah


Quinoa Chowdah
Originally uploaded by britton618.
Quinoa is one of those grains that unless you have a good reason, it's easy to pass by. And even when you finally try it, the smell while cooking can turn some off. However, I'm a big fan on Quinoa. I like the taste and it's versatility. Normally, I'll take any leftover quinoa and make a stirfry with it, using any fresh veggies on hand, hot sesame oil, soy sauce, and a few healthy dashes of white pepper.
So when I saw this recipe online somewhere, I knew I had to try it. This recipe has excellent flavor, and is relatively low in fat AND calories. And if you're a non-feta lover, trust me on this. This recipe might just make you rethink it.

Quinoa Chowdah with Spinach, Feta, and Green Onions
8 c water
3/4 c uncooked quinoa
2 tsp olive oil
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 1/2 c potato, diced
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
2/3 c green onions, sliced
3 c fresh spinach, thinly sliced
1 c (4 oz) well crumbled feta cheese (I used a garlic and herb blend)
1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine water and quinoa in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove. Drain in a colander, reserving cooking liquid. Add enough water to cooking liquid to equal 6 cups. Set aside.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add jalapeno and garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Stir in potato, salt, cumin, black pepper, and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 6 c cooking liquid, quinoa, and 1/3 c green onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in 1/3 c onions and spinach, cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese and cilantro.
Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! My husband and I LOVED this! Next time, I'm adding a bit more garlic, some onions, beans, and more jalapeno (he likes things spicy) But definitely yummy and a good first experience with quinoa.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info honeywell hwm 255 humidifier Home+monitoring+security+services Saunas y Consolidation loan canada Bookkeeping out of my home