Saturday, January 14, 2006

Isn't this gorgeous??

This is Lundberg Black Japonica, a rice blend of a Japanese black short grain rice, and a mahogany medium grain. I found it at the local health food store, and thought it looked interested. Isn't this close-up gorgeous*??
Japonica

Here's what I did with it. I'm sure you could substitute any type of rice with this dish, although your cook times may vary. And as with all of my recipes, I don't formally measure, so these are more or less the correct amounts.

"You Say Japonica" Rice Dish
1/2 c onion, diced
1 T minced garlic
1 vegetable bouillon cube (or chicken or beef is so desired)
2 T butter
1 c rice
2 c water
salt to taste
Japonica cooking
Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add onion, garlic. Add bouillon cube, making sure to mash well. Saute for 2 minutes, then add rice. Saute mixture for a few minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, and keeping covered, simmer until rice is tender. Serve.


Now this is the first time I've ever tried it, but it has a wonderfully nutty taste. I definitely will be making this one again.

*I'd also like to give a shout-out to my new camera, as this is a fantastic close-up.