Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Lentil Crunchies
Lentil Crunchies

Typically, when I cook, I'm a huge fan of any recipe that can be modified at my whim - spice blends, what's available in the pantry, whatever mood I'm in. That's how I like to roll. This recipe is one of those. It can literally be taken in any spice direction, and the main ingredient can always be in your pantry. I'm more tempted by salty snacks than by sweet, so having something healthy and full of protein, and yet still enjoyable hits me in the right spot.

Lentil Crunchies
1 c lentils (not red)
1 quart water
Cooking spray of your choice (I used olive oil)
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Place water and lentils in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and spread out on paper towels to dry. (I let mine sit for about 20 minutes, and then sponged them off again with another paper towel.) Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray well with cooking spray. Spread out lentils on sheet and give them a light coating of cooking spray. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until crisp, stirring often. Combine seasonings and toss with hot lentils. Cool and store in a airtight container.It's a wonderful little salty snack!

*Once again, the spice measurements are estimated, as I'm not a measurer*

6 comments:

Catherine said...

This looks yummy - I'm going to try this one. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This was fantastic! Like you--I tend to mess around with the seasonings. I tossed them with some olive oil, kosher salt and zattar. The toasted sesame compliemnted the lentils. I ended up making a double batch for snacking!

Anonymous said...

You use Dry Lentils or these lentils conserve on water.

Thanks. It looks Good

Anonymous said...

Thank you! These were great! I made them yesterday. I'm out of cooking spray so I tossed them with some good olive oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder - awesome!

I think I'm going to try the same thing with chick peas later this week.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I'm thinking about making some to keep at work for an afternoon snack.

JohnP said...

We made these tonight - so tasty!! Thanks for the great idea.