Monday, September 15, 2008

Okra Curry

So this weekend I finally made it to Eastern Market here in Lancaster. Wow - I was very impressed. Although it was fairly small, it had such a "grass roots" feel to it that was very warm and welcoming. There were some produce stands, as well as some great ethnic food stands. There is an Ethiopian stand that I absolutely must return to, and the Moroccan stand is also next on my list. There were also some great jewelry vendors.

I stopped at one of the produce stands and saw some lovely fresh okra. I love okra, but I've actually never prepared it. I immediately grabbed some and brought it home to brainstorm. I've already made a jambalaya with okra, but I wanted the okra at center stage.

This is a great recipe. Not only is it amazingly tasty, but it is quick and easy to make. You can have this on the table in about 25-30 minutes. It's also very hearty, and if served over rice, this would make the perfect vegetarian entree.

Okra Curry I

Okra Curry
Serves 3-4

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
3 cups fresh (or frozen) okra, sliced
2/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp salt
1 (8 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup water

In medium saucepan, heat olive oil. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and saute for another minute or two. Add okra, red pepper, curry powder, coriander, and salt, and saute another minute. Add tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes, until okra is tender. Serve over rice.

Looking for more curry??

*Mushroom Curry
*Coconut Lentil Curry
*Curried Lo Mein

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, fellow foodies:

I've got to take a few seconds to tell you about a new website that's going to launch very soon.

It's called Behind the Burner (www.behindtheburner.com)

...and I'm oh so excited about it.

Behind the Burner will serve you tips, tricks and techniques that are lighting the culinary world on fire.

If you like to cook, like to eat, want healthy nutrition advice and constantly search for ways to immerse yourself in the fascinating world of food, you'll love this site.

Click on the link above and enter your email address to receive updates and other information about Behind the Burner.

Tell all your friends. Do whatever you can to spread the great news.

Trust me, you'll be getting your grub on soon.



Holly

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed visiting Nabeela's "Trials and Errors" blogsite.This site is restricted to invitees only. Please help me contact Nabeela so that I can view her site once again.

Neville
Toronto

bee said...

okra is my favorite vegetable. fabulous recipe. will try when we get fresh okra.

-jai

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I've recently tried okra and am looking for more okra recipes. Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

i made it. it was amazing. people asked for the receipy.