Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Coconut Lentil Curry

People often ask me if it's hard to make the switch to being a vegetarian. It's dishes like this, that are so flavorful and filling, that make me quickly respond back with "absolutely not!"

The coconut milk, red curry paste, fresh ginger and garlic, combined with red lentils and zucchini make such a fantastic combination. I didn't even have to taste it to know that this was a dish I would love. Served over jasmine rice, you have yourself a lovely vegetarian meal that even meat-eaters will be satisfied with.

Coconut Lentil Curry

Coconut Lentil Curry
(my variation on a recipe from December's Gourmet magazine)

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/4 c onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
2 tbsp thai red curry paste*
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 fresh serrano pepper, finely minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 (13.5 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 c dried red lentils
2 c zucchini, chopped
fresh cilantro, for garnish

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, and curry paste. Cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Add salt, cumin, and pepper, and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add broth, coconut milk, and lentils, and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add zucchini, and cook an additional 15 minutes, covered, until lentils and zucchini are soft. Remove from heat, serve over rice, garnished with fresh chopped cilantro.

*Can use purchased, or here is a recipe to make your own

10 comments:

Catherine said...

Hmm..I love red lentils. This sounds like a warm and winning combo.

NWJR said...

Oh, my. That looks reeeeealy good.

Harmonia said...

I have been wanting to do another curry...gotta get some coconut milk first! Looks grand!

Mikey said...

That looks awesome! And that was genuine enthusiasm!!

Anonymous said...

I am not vegetarian but I can go weeks without any meat. And since half the household is vegetarian, sometimes it is also the convenience.

Majority of Indians are vegetarians and the mind-boggling variety of vegetarian cuisine means we never tire. More likely, the meat eaters look for 'respite' and most traditionally meat-eating Hindus adhere to a weekly 'holy-day' from it!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you're not kidding. This is amazing. It may have vaulted into my top 5 favorite of all time. I'm looking forward to lunch!

Special Sauce said...

I can testify that this is even really good stone cold, with a plastic spork, just shy of lunchtime. (Thank you Fiber for making my morning that much better, and bringing in this tasty treat. This is SO getting made this weekend.)

leslie @ definitely not martha said...

Yum! I'm not a vegetarian, but I LOVE red lentils. I normally make a more indian-inspired dal, but I'd love to give this a try. Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great dish! I just finished making it and it was very delicious! It was my first time making anything with lentils and I think this will become a staple in our house. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

it tasted amazing. my first time cooking red lentils. shared it with friends. does not make a lot so i am making it again. love love love it