Friday, January 19, 2007

Wine-Poached Tilapia with Tomatoes and Herbs

Fish is such an excellent nutritional powerhouse, and I try to include it into my diet as much as possible. It's also very easy to make, and can be made in an endless variety of ways.

I love poached fish since it's such a healthy preparation, and it leaves the fish moist and flavorful. The fresh tomatoes and herbs on top give it a little added spark, and this would be a fabulous light and healthy dinner. It's also quick and easy to make, and takes about 20 minutes, from start to table.

*This is my variation on a recipe I found at my local W*lmart*

Wine-Poached Tilapia with Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs

Wine-Poached Tilapia with Tomatoes and Herbs
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt/pepper
4 tilapia filets (or any firm-fleshed fish)
1/2 c white wine

Combine tomatoes, basil, dill, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. Set aside. Season fish with salt and pepper and place fish in large skillet. Add wine and heat over medium high heat until wine starts to boil. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook 3 minutes. Spoon tomato mixture evenly over fish, cover, and cook an additional 5-7 minutes, or until fish flakes with fork.

8 comments:

Special Sauce said...

YUM!

This looks incredible. I can't wait to make it myself- I like the idea of eating more fish, but am always a bit hesitant to cook it, because I don't quite know how- I think this is an easy fish recipe that I won't be able to jack up!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!! This looks amazing!!! Mr. Bills and I might have to meet after work tonight to pick up some tilapia!!

Anonymous said...

Looks great - I like it! That's going on next week's menu, for sure!

gray la gran said...

yum-city! i will have to make this one next week. i love fish. and i like the idea of poaching to keep it moist.

Special Sauce said...

I made this Sunday afternoon for a nice little dinner for two (just made half the fillets, but used the same amount of tomato mix, because I do love tomato) and it was very tasty. I will most definitely be making this again. Thank you Fiber! (though I curse the fillets at giant for being so wimpy!)

Rachel Rubin said...

Yum! That looks so healthy and fresh. The fish market has had some amazing tilapia lately. Maybe I'll have to try this.

I see there is lemon juice on it. Does it come out relly lemony? I'm not a big lemon fan, even on fish. I prefer tomatoes and olives :)

Anonymous said...

I am always looking for new ways to make Tilapia. This looks incredible!

Anonymous said...

I tried a variation of this recipe with what I had on hand and it was simple and delicious. I used flounder, and substituted some pesto for the basil, used champagne instead of white wine, and I added some capers. Very flavorful.