Thursday, January 11, 2007

Trio of Glazed Nuts, Part I
Jasmine Tea and Ginger Glazed Nuts


So I've been obsessed lately with tea, and how it can be used in cooking (It may have something to do with the fact that I gave up caffeine for 21 days, which I'm 5 days into and amazingly enough, still alive). Tea can be a wonderful and different addition to recipes, and over the next few weeks, I have a few things I'd like to try.

But I thought I'd start out with nuts, since almost everyone loves them. Whenever I have people over, or I'm entertaining, I always try and have some type of munchy snack out. Nuts fit that category, and there are literally a million different ways they can be spiced up.

Over the next 3 days, I plan on unveiling the fruits of my experimentation with 3 different versions of glazed nuts. Today's is a jasmine tea glazed almond, with the wonderful addition of crystallized ginger. The jasmine and ginger work so well together, and the recipe is surprisingly easy to make.

Don't forget to check back tomorrow for Part II!

Jasmine Tea and Ginger Glazed Almonds

Jasmine Tea and Ginger Glazed Almonds
1 c raw almonds
1/4 c sugar
pinch of salt
2 jasmine tea bags, or 1 generous tsp of jasmine tea
1/4 c finely chopped crystallized ginger

In large pan, combine almonds and sugar over medium high heat. Stir frequently until sugar starts to melt. Lower heat, and stir continuously for 10 minutes, or until sugar starts to fully melt and cover nuts. Add tea and continue to cook for an additional minute or two, until nuts are well glazed and tea is well mixed in. Add ginger, and stir until well mixed. Pour onto sheet of wax paper on a cooling rack, and spread out. Allow to cool. Store in tightly-sealed container.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I've followed your blog for a while and I love your recipes and photo's. I was really excited to see your blog on tea coz I am a tea-fanatic and love to cook with it. Knowing your affinity for Indian food I thought I would share on of my fav "tea bag recipes" with you--"Pindi chana" (garbanzo beans. Just add the tea bag in with the beans when you pressure cook them (or boil them). The tea bags give an immensly dark and dense flavor that is intensified by roasted cumin and tamarind. Looking forward to trying out the jamine/ginger almonds! yum.

country girl said...

I cook for a diabetic. Can I substitute Splenda for the sugar? I'll check back.

Catherine said...

yum! What the Hell Does a Vegan Eat Anyway had a great tea-smoked tofu you may want to check out.

I have to try this!

Harmonia said...

How creative! Neat idea! I like it!
I just posted about a "raw" soup...a little different for me...

Rachel Rubin said...

those look great! i too have been thikning about somethings to cook with tea lately, but i haven't tried anything yet.

that indian recipe posted above seems interesting too. beans cooked with tea . . . yum. i bet the tea adds and amazing flavor.

Anonymous said...

Why, oh why did you not post this before the holidays? I'm crying inside with desire to make these, and they would have been perfect with company!

Anonymous said...

Oh, these sounds wonderful....as do all of your glazed nuts! I love your recipes! Found your blog about 9 months ago and thoroughly enjoy it!

These would make a great hostess gift in a pretty container. Definitely going to be making these very soon!

Now, I have a question for you...my loose jasmine tea is pretty large leaves....should I grind them up a bit and make them more of a powder? I'm thinking this would be a good project using my mortar and pestle....what do you think?

Christina said...

I just discovered your site yesterday and made these almonds for dinner party I had last night. Wow - they are fantastic. Thanks!

My husband and I are 'vegaquarians' as well. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.