Friday, January 12, 2007

Trio of Glazed Nuts, Part II
Lemon Pepper Cashews


Alright, I'm not going to lie. Out of all 3 of the glazed nuts, these are my favorite. I burned my mouth a few times, eating them before they were cooled. These lemon and pepper glazed cashews are so delightfully tasty, and surprisingly easy to make. The fresh lemon zest adds a brightness to them, and the freshly cracked pepper provide a nice warmness to the flavor.

You'll definitely want to make these again and again. And don't forget to come back tomorrow for the final installment in the trio of glazed nuts!

Lemon Pepper Glazed Cashews

Lemon Pepper Cashews
1 c raw cashews
1/4 c sugar
pinch of salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp freshly cracked pepper

In large pan, combine cashews and sugar over medium high heat. Stir frequently until sugar starts to melt. Lower heat, and stir continuously for 10 minutes, or until sugar starts to fully melt and cover nuts. Add pepper and continue to cook for an additional minute or two, until nuts are well glazed and pepper is well mixed in. Add lemon zest and stir until well mixed. Pour onto sheet of wax paper on a cooling rack, and spread out. Allow to cool. Store in tightly-sealed container.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, lemon peppered *sweet nuts* seems a bit odd, but I'll take your word for it, and hopefully try some this weekend.

Your photo, as usual, is incredible.

Michelle said...

not only does that sound yummy, but i LOVE that little lemon-as-a-cup :) too cute.

Sara said...

These look amazing!

Fiber said...

Shawn - thanks for the compliments. And I think you'll love them. You can't really taste pepper, per say, but you can feel the "warmth" from it.

Michelle - thanks! It was a spur of the moment decision.

Sara - thanks to you too!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. It only may seem odd until you taste them. And then you'll be convinced. They are quite amazing.

Rachel Rubin said...

hhmmm, i'm not a big lemon fan usually. i find it to be quite overpowering. but i bet nuts can stand up against it. i might have to check these out.

The Culinary Chase said...

This looks great & I'll bet this is a different taste sensation! Cheers!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Very nice! I collect nut recipes (and yes, make them too!) and I don't remember making any with lemon. BTW thanks for fixing the permalinks!

Brilynn said...

Love that pic, and cashews are my favourite!

Special Sauce said...

All three varieties are brilliant. The lemon pepper is bright, but with a subtle heat, the chili chai are my favorite- because until you know what they are, you simply must eat more, as your brain wraps around what your stomach already knows is a very, very good thing, and the ginger jasmine almonds are stellar- as only those two flavors can be.

Anonymous said...

i ve 1 kg of cashew waiting for me at home. I ve bring it mback from India in Kerala and i will try your very nice recipe with this.

You should try it with piment d'Especlette (a soft chilly from south of france)

Cindy said...

I made these during the week for a picnic (and blogged about it here). We were all hooked and I'll definitely be making them again - thanks for sharing the recipe. :-)

Anonymous said...

We tried your cashews and they turned out to be fantastic! Although we made a little mistake using the juice instead of zest!! Reading the recipe properly could be wise..;) They were a bit sticky, but tasted SO good! Next time we will use the zest (and I'm sure there will be a next time). Here's the address to our blog:
http://lettupannu.vuodatus.net/blog/1030766
It's in Finnish.. Greetings from Finland!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh. I just made these today and they are the most delicious nuts I have ever tasted! I absolutely LOVE lemon so when I saw the recipe I had to try them.
Thanks!