Monday, September 08, 2008

Exotic Mushroom Pate

I'll be the first to admit that this isn't the most appetizing thing I've ever photographed. But I will also tell you that the flavor of this pate is absolutely delicious.

I used a combination of shiitake, straw, oyster, and baby bella mushrooms, but you could easily substitute whatever you happen to have. Not only is this recipe extremely delicious, but it's also extremely easy to make. From start to finish, it took me about 15 minutes. That's some quick work!

Serve with bagel crips, crackers, or everything flatbread(as seen here). This would also make a great sandwich filling or would be a fantastic little spread to tuck in the center of an omelet.

Exotic Mushroom Pate

Exotic Mushroom Pate

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp diced shallot
2 cups chopped mushrooms
pinch of salt
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 oz cream cheese

In a saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add shallots and saute for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt, and saute for 4-5 minutes, until almost soft. Add thyme leaves and saute for an additional minute. Remove from heat and spoon mushroom mixture into a small food processor. Add cream cheese and process until smooth. Add balsamic vinegar, salt to taste, and pulse until mixed in. Chill, serve, and enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sometimes, it's the taste that wins you over :) sounds delicious!!

Heather said...

Sounds delish! I'm in mushroom mood too since I went to the Kennett Square PA Mushroom Festival this past weekend. If I get out of work early, I can go to one of the mushroom shops near my house and pick them up real fresh. I'm so lucky to live in the mushroom capital of the world. We don't even mind the smell when the turn the mushroom soil!

Esi said...

I had something similar at a potluck and it was enough to make me reconsider not liking mushrooms! So delish!

Anonymous said...

I love pate - olive, mushroom, all of it! Your pate here looks so good.

I have a raw version of mushroom pate lined up to post soon. Also, I recently posted an artichoke pate on my other blog Natural Living Cuisine.

Kim C said...

After messing up the bread I was going to spread my pate on (I was sick) I just stirred half the finished recipe over wholegrain pasta and added some crumbled crispy bacon.....very nice