Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Smokin' Saturday

Smoked Salmon


So on my most recent trip to the Italian Market, I stopped at one of my favorite kitchen stores, Fantes. It's absolutely fantastic. It's tiny and it's got this treacherous ramp inside that is terrifying to walk up/down in heels, but it's also extremely well-stocked.

I've been wanting a smoker for a long time, so when I saw one on sale, I immediately picked it up. It sat around for a few weeks before I could devote the time to try and use it, but I finally got the chance to do so this afternoon.

Obviously, the first thing that comes to mind with a smoker (at least for me) is salmon, so I immediately went and picked up a filet of salmon. I lightly seasoned it with salt and pepper and threw it in for about 20 minutes.

It came out absolutely perfect. Smoky, tender, and delicious! I can't wait to see what else I can smoke.

Have a great rest of the weekend and don't forget to throw your name in the hat for "Totally Vegetarian."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am wondering what kind of smoker you purchased. I have one my brother-in-law gave me for my birthday and but is poorly designed.

Special Sauce said...

We picked up an electric one at the beginning of the summer and have used it quite a few times (for non veggie stuff). I need to make salmon, because the leftovers (I know, what leftovers?) will be perfect in savory salmon cheesecake.

Sara said...

This looks great, I LOVE smoked salmon!

Heather said...

I love the Italian Market in Philly. I haven't been there in awhile. It does take us about 45 minutes to get to Philly at the new house, but we are surrounded by a mushroom farm paradise.

Fiber said...

Anon - it's a Cameron. It's definitely not top of the line, but it handles its business well!

E - Where did you get yours??

Sara - so do I, although this hot-smokes it, which is somewhat different than the traditional cold-smoked. I do want to get a cold-smoker as well....

Heather - sounds like a great trade-off! I'd love to be surrounded by mushrooms!