Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Fennel Salad with Cumin Citrus Dressing

Every few weeks or so, I'll randomly pick something, usually produce, that I've either never cooked with, or haven't used in a long time. This week, it was fennel. I've used it before in my marinated olives recipe, but that's the extent of my fennel knowledge. I do love the fresh flavor of it, and wanted to use it in its raw state.

I wanted to do a salad and contrast some interesting flavors, and this salad was born. The cumin citrus dressing is lovely with the fennel, but would be great on just about any salad. The arugula and watercress add a nice bitter flavor, and contrast well with the sweetness of the dressing.

Fennel Salad

Fennel Salad with Cumin Citrus Dressing
Grated zest of one orange
3 tbsp freshly-squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin
Freshly ground pepper
1 large bulb fennel, white part only, sliced thinly
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced or diced
6 radishes, thinly sliced
Watercress
Arugula

Combine juices, zest, oil, cumin, and pepper, and whisk well. Set aside. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, toss with dressing, and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks great-very refreshing and zesty!! I like fennel.