Monday, May 22, 2006

Bueno Fresh Salsa

I think one of the best things about going to a Mexican restaurant is the little basket of chips and salsa they bring you before you eat. You could make a whole meal from it, especially if it's good housemade stuff.

Someone recently asked if I had a good fresh salsa recipe. Despite my love for it, I rarely ever make it at home. I decided today was as good as any to try a batch, and I'm glad I did. This recipe will definitely be making its appearance multiple times this summer.

Since fresh perfectly ripe tomatoes are hard to find sometimes round these parts, I added a can of crushed tomatoes, which add a lovely base and flavor to the salsa.

Bueno Salsa

Bueno Fresh Salsa
1 (28oz) can plain crushed tomatoes
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
1 c vidalia onion, finely minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1/4 c white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c fresh cilantro, minced

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Allow to hang out in the fridge for a few hours, to allow flavors to combine.

7 comments:

Michele said...

I make salsa all the time, I made some the other day along with homemade tortilla chips and got to eat it all myself since my kids "hate" tomatoes. That's ok... more salsa for me ;) Yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

Nothing says summer like fresh salsa.

Anonymous said...

Do you think I should try to make this in the Magic Bullet? That thing is hOt with a capital O!!!

Special Sauce said...

I took this over to G. Monkey's last night- (because the incomprable Fiber is the best friend evah, and brought me some) and we housed it. This salsa has just the right amount of tang, with an underlying sweetness that is out of this world.

Kalyn Denny said...

This sounds just great. As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't have cilantro, it's not salsa. I know there are different opinions on this issue, but to me cilantro is a must! Yours sounds great.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Patrick said...

Holy Lord I love this salsa! Everytime I make it for parties everyone raves about it. Also, the recipe makes enough so you can cut the batch in half. This way you can make one mild bowl (for me) and one hot bowl, for those who have a higher tolerance for the hot stuff than I do (generally anyone over the age of 5).