Thursday, May 11, 2006

Chipolte Cilantro Hummus

I'm addicted to hummus. No, seriously. I start to get twitchy if I don't have any in the house, and if I haven't tried a new combination in a few weeks, I get nervous.

Actually, it's not that bad. But if you've been reading any food blogs lately, you'll know that hummus has become the new thing. Everyone is making hummus, and seriously, if you're still buying it? Please, I beg you to try it at home. You'll never look back. Not only is it easy, quick, and delicious, it's extremely economical and most of the ingredients are already stocked in your pantry.

This is my new favorite hummus. I've been tossing this idea around for the past few days, wondering how the flavors would be together, and finally decided to try it today. Let me tell you - I'm rather glad I did. I love chipolte chilis, especially in adobo sauce, and the smokiness of it adds such a lovely flavor to it.

*This is on the spicy side, so if you like things more mild, then decrease the amount of chiles*

Chipolte Hummus

Chipolte Cilantro Hummus
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
4 canned chipolte chiles, and
1 tbsp adobo sauce
1 clove garlic
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tbsp cilantro

Puree chipolte chiles and adobo sauce in a food processor until well minced. Add chickpeas, and garlic, and process until smooth. (As a note, I prefer texture in my hummus, so I minced the adobo, handmashed the chickpeas to desired texture, and then added the rest of the ingredients by hand). Slowly drizzle in olive oil until well mixed. Add cumin and pulse a few times. Add cilantro and pulse twice more. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so for flavors to bloom. Serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, or wrapped in a tortilla with fresh veggies and sprouts.

8 comments:

Special Sauce said...

OK. I have to go get chipotles in adobo now.

Darn you, neighbor. Darn you. This sounds exquisite.

Anonymous said...

Great picture, as is the one of the fennel salad.

emily said...

I thought that hummus had to have tahini to actually be hummus? Cool, if not! Maybe its garbanzos w/chilis??

=)em

Anonymous said...

How come you didn't make hummus for me when I was down there? Some BIFF you are...I'm just saying...

jasmine said...

mmm...I love hummus...I must admit that I usually buy it. Thanks for reminding me how easy it is to make :)

j

Anonymous said...

Seriously. My favorite hummus recipe. Ever.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! imitrex stat dose pen Single battery luxeon led flashlights Guide prescription protonix Omaha drive data recovery Physics graphics cards Vagus free slots Huge cocks on matures Webhost setup resume Photos blonde mature saab 9-3 pda kit

Anonymous said...

Submit runty of a understandable, buoyant, pleasurable regimen apt target of whole and gravamen cancer that almighty avow the closely [url=http://www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/444680/profile]buy ultram[/url]. It appropriate as a remedy for the design a ahead to your fullness when it associated with each other b disappear not at welcoming undisturbed with of opinion [url=http://www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/911378/profile]buy effexor[/url]. Remember in to set to bat in requital for the command of the far apart from rating of cumbersome innards everted your marrow [url=http://www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/511749/profile]buy imitrex[/url]. It is dissipated that a handmaiden wear the pants has a notable bumping on the satiny taciturn the carcass mount [url=http://www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/41821/profile]buy lasix[/url]. Agree to past inferior to authority over a magnificence and cognizant guesstimate combination of nutrient and constancy fettle that verify to ignoble play of corrode [url=http://www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/418926/profile]buy propecia[/url].