Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Roasted Tomatillo Chipolte Salsa

I love chipolte peppers, especially the ones that come in adobo sauce. They've got such a wonderful smokiness to them, and bring a lovely complex flavor to whatever you add them to. (Try the Chipolte Cilantro Hummus or Chipolte Black Bean Cakes)

The chipolte peppers in this salsa bring the heat, while the roasted tomatillos and vegetables give it a great smoked flavor. On the heat scale of 1-5, this ranks in at about a 4.5, so if you're heat-sensitive, decrease the amount of chipoltes.

Roasted Tomatillo Chipolte Salsa

Roasted Tomatillo Chipolte Salsa
6 tomatillos, husks removed
4 plum tomatoes
5 cloves garlic
1 small vidalia onion
3 canned chipolte peppers
2 tsp of adobo sauce (from the chipolte peppers)
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp fresh cilantro

In a large heavy pan over high heat, place tomatillos, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Roast 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until there are roasted spots on veggies. Remove from heat, place on a plate, and cool for a few minutes. Place in food processor with chipolte peppers and sugar, and process until still chunky. Add cilantro, and pulse a few times until desired consistency. Allow to rest in the refrigerator for a few hours for flavors to mix well.

7 comments:

Susan Voisin said...

You take the most gorgeous photos!

Dr. Melissa West said...

Man you are killing me. I have been craving salsa and corn chips since the last time you posted about salsa. Every afternoon I think, wow, I wish I had some corn chips.... I could go inside and make some wicked salsa. Honestly it has been so hot here I think salsa and corn chips would be the best dinner possible.

Thanks for the recipes.

I agree with susanv - you do take the most fantastic photos.

Fiber said...

Diddy - Troy Apache is proud! He's looking for an apron so he can help out in the kitchen.

SusanV and Dragonslayer - thanks for the compliments. I rather like this picture, since that bowl looks large but holds about 1 tbsp.

Anonymous said...

I just ate a tomatillo for the first time in my life the other night...who knew such a wierd little vegetable makes great salsa...ok probably everyone but me...

Harmonia said...

I must try that hummus! The pic is wonderful as usual. This dish looks awesome! I love all the ingredients!

Anonymous said...

This salsa has a much darker and smokier flavor than the bueno fresh version, but it is oh so good....and spicy.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»