Thursday, May 25, 2006

Chilled Peach Soup

If I had to pick my top 5 recipes of all times, this would definitely be included in that category. And when I introduce this soup to some, it's met with a "Wha...??" I have to admit, when I was served this in a restaurant years ago, I was somewhat skeptical of it. But as soon as I tasted it, I knew it needed to be recreated in my own kitchen.

It's the perfect blend of everything - sweet, a touch of tang from the wine, and touched off with freshly-cracked black pepper. And while you might think the combination of everything in it might be a touch odd, I promise you'll love the flavors of it.

This recipe is perfect for summer breakfasts and brunches, and also is a lovely appetizer for a light summer meal.

Chilled Peach Soup 2

Chilled Peach Soup
1 (16oz) bag frozen peach slices, thawed
3/4 c pineapple juice
1/2 c orange juice
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 c white wine
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 c sour cream (or yogurt)
1/2 c half and half (or soymilk)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
A few shakes of nutmeg
freshly cracked pepper

Thaw peaches, and reserve 1/4 c. Place the rest of the peaches and the ingredients in a blender. Blend well until pureed. Dice remaining peaches and stir into soup. Chill for a few hours. Serve in bowls, and top with freshly cracked pepper.

14 comments:

Michele said...

Mmmmm! This sounds like a smoothie in a bowl with pepper... I could get with that ;)

Fiber said...

And doesn't pepper make everything better anyway?

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to dinner tonight......big time.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Wow, this is intriguing! Do you serve it with anything in particular?

Susan Voisin said...

Sounds delicious! I'm putting in my "to try" folder even as I type!

jasmine said...

This reads/sounds amazing!

j

funwithyourfood said...

Hi there
i found you via harmonia
This soup looks delish.. i just used my peaches this morning to make a smoothy.. but it's peach season so i'll be getting more! I'll give your recipe a shot.. thanks!

i'll be stopping by later : )

Teddy

Fiber said...

Jess - In all honesty, it goes with pretty much anything. It's great as a nice light soup with a salad, or served with scones for breakfast.

Jody from VegChic said...

Interesting, I'll put this in my recipe queue...lol. I've got a few lined up to try first.

What kind of white wine do you recommend for it? Something dry or a something sweeter like a dessert wine?

Fiber said...

I prefer it with something dry, but I prefer drier wines overall. I think the dessert wine would be okay, as long as you cut down the amount of sugar.
For this one, I used pinot grigio, but normally, I'll just grab whatever dry white happens to be open in the fridge.

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

Anonymous said...

Just found your site -- very difficult to decide:
1. which recipe to try first
2. whether the recipes are better then the photographs or the photographs are better then the recipes.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »