Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Weekend Stir-fry, Part II

I haven't made a recipe the way it was written in years. And it's not because I don't trust the author, it's just that I normally find something I want to add to it or switch around. When I read a recipe, my brain immediately starts firing with a zillion other things that I want to try. Even my own recipes aren't safe. When I make a recipe I've already made, I usually find something I want to change about it. I think the creative aspect and the flexibility of cooking is what I love so much.

Case and point - I made this weekend stir-fry last year, trying to use up all of the loose ends of vegetables I had lying around in my refrigerator. Anyone who cooks often knows that sometimes you end up with a fridge full of vegetables that are slowly turning over to the dark side. I hate to be wasteful, so I like to try and find ways to use them up before they are completely gone.

Stirfries and soups are excellent ways to use up produce, and I loved the recipe for the stir fry. However, I started making it today and changed a few of the ingredients, adding some vegetable stock, which really brings up the flavor quite a bit. It's not much different than the original, but it's still exceptionally tasty. Go ahead - clean out your refrigerator and give it at try!

*This is also an entry into Project Foodie's Leftover Tuesdays #11 roundup, which is on the crusade against throwing away leftovers.

Weekend Stir-fry, Part II

Weekend Stirfry, Part II
Serves 4

Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 extra-large* vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 1/4 c hot water
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 c warm water

(I used about 6 cups of assorted vegetables, which I sauteed in small amounts of sesame oil until tender.)
In wok over medium-high heat, add sesame oil. Add ginger and garlic and saute for 20-30 seconds. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, and bouillon cube mixture and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, then whisk in cornstarch mixture. Boil until thickened. Remove from heat and toss over cooked vegetables.

*Or use 2 regular small square cubes

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your stirfry looks amazing. I want some! That lack of mushrooms in our fridge is making it worse. :p

Like you, my boyfriend and I tend to do the switcheroo with ingredients. And while we're eating dishes we made, we talk about what we can do different and how to make it better next time. I'm glad we're not the only ones! ;-)

I like the idea of the crusade against throwing away leftovers. Hmm... let me go check that out.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That stir-fry really does look amazing! I love the 'crusade against throwing things away' - you're right that really is what Leftover Tuesdays is all about! I just wish all my leftover creations looked as great as yours....

Fiber said...

Joy - I just can't leave recipes alone. I can always find something I want to change for the next time, especially with my own recipes!

Foodie Pam - thanks for letting me join the crusade!

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

I love anytime I can use up leftovers, especially in something that sounds this delicious! The only thing I might do differently is blanch the vegetables until barely crisp/tender, then start with a little more oil and add the drained vegetables along with the ginger and garlic. I'd finish just as you describe, adding the bouillon mixture and cornstarch, but to the whole shooting match. That would incorporate the vegetables flavorwise, I think, making the dish feel more cohesive.

Anonymous said...

Your stir fry looks really amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Just checked out the recipes we all submitted and your stir fry really looks great.