Monday, January 28, 2008

5-Minute Mushroom Sauce

Mushrooms are definitely one of those things that I hated as a child, but now I can't live without them. I often have them in my refrigerator and love to find new uses for them. I wanted something quick to make for lunch and to pack for lunch at work tomorrow and wanted to use up a box of mushrooms that were sitting in the fridge.

This may actually be the quickest and easiest mushroom sauce in the world. It literally takes 5 minutes from start to finish, yet it's huge on flavor. And not only is it super easy, but almost all of the ingredients are already in your pantry. While this was cooking, I threw some seasoned tilapia filets in the broiler for a few minutes and heated up some brown rice, and within 10 minutes I had lunch ready to go. Go ahead and give this too-easy-to-be-true sauce a try!

5-Minute Mushroom Sauce

5-Minute Mushroom Sauce
Serves 3 or 4

2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
pinch of salt
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, warm olive oil. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and salt, cover, and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add butter, thyme, and balsamic vinegar, stir well, and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Serve and enjoy!

14 comments:

PG said...

I'll have to give this a try. Just yesterday, I was scouring the internet for an easy mushroom sauce.

Unknown said...

The start to your post reminded me of my boyfriend's daughter the other morning at breakfast. I'd grilled some mushrooms to go along with the eggs and biscuits for 'special sunday breakfast'. She took one look at them and demanded to know what they were. We persuaded her to eat one, and each took one of the remaining two. Still we waited until she put the one in her mouth, but the wrinkled nose and look of horror reassured us and we chomped away. But then, moments later she started chewing and a smile came onto her face. "Aww, I wanted those other ones" she wailed!!

Sharona May said...

The Mushroom Sauce looks very good. I think it will be great over chicken or fish. Your story is cute. I don't think I liked mushrooms as a child either!
Sharona May

Fiber said...

Psychgrad - let me know how it turns out. I don't think it gets much easier than this...

Sarah - what a cute story! Hopefully she keeps her love of the fungus.

Sharona - I think it would probably be good over chicken as well. It was fantastic over tilapia!

Ashley said...

This looks wonderful! It would be great for a quick chicken dinner. Do you think it would be good on pork chops?

Fiber said...

Ashley - I don't see why it wouldn't...go ahead and give it a try and let me know how it comes out!

Courtney said...

so funny, i currently have a box of 'shrooms in the fridge that need to be used up. i belive this sauce over some left over risotto will make a lovely lunch tomorrow. thanks!

caroline said...

This is great! I'll try this recipe one day. It would be a great addition to chicken or fish. Thanks!!

Fiber said...

Courtney - Somehow I always end up with extra mushrooms too. It sounds fabulous over risotto. Let me know how it turns out!

Caroline - Thank you for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I just recently came around to appreciate mushrooms. My family would be know as the "no mushroom" family at the local Chinese restaurant. Now when I order my food with mushrooms, my family looks at me like I'm crazy. Anyway, I'll have to give this a whirl.

PROJECT DUALTECH said...

that looks so good!! I'll try it sometime :D

Anonymous said...

This is going into our archive of recipes, for sure. This is truly an easy 5 minutes and it looks flavorful and delicious. Your mushrooms look mighty plump too! Meaning, their not overcooked. :)

Anonymous said...

MMM...mushrooms. I love them a lot. Haha. Your sauce looks and sounds awesome. Good choice on the fish. I love tilapia as well. :-)

Gosh, I'm really getting hungry now!

Anonymous said...

Tried it tonight! I left out the butter and it was just as delish! Thanks for the great recipe!