Friday, January 25, 2008

Hearty Vegetarian Sub

I work at a fairly large hospital that has a pretty decent cafeteria during the week. However, on the weekends, the choices are typically chicken fingers or....well, chicken fingers. We normally order out, but pizza shops aren't the most vegetarian friendly. Sometimes I just get a hankering for something tasty, like a good solid sub.

The veggies, combined with the tasty tomato sauce, make an incredibly hearty and filling sub. It also packs well for brownbag lunches - just heat up the veggie mixture in a separate container and then stuff into a roll. I'm sure it would also be equally tasty tossed with pasta for a different lunch idea.

No matter how you serve it, I can guarantee you'll enjoy this hearty vegetarian mixture.

Hearty Vegetarian Sub

Hearty Vegetarian Sub
Serves 4

3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 c onion, chopped in slivers
2 c baby bella mushrooms, sliced thickly
2 c zucchini, cut into 1" long slivers
1 green bell pepper, cut into slivers
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes

In large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add onion and bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and zucchini and saute an additional 5 minutes. Add spices and stir for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, lower heat and cook, covered for an additional 10 minutes until veggies are tender. (I wanted some texture to remain, so I didn't completely cook them until done). Serve on hoagie rolls with cheese.

13 comments:

Namratha said...

Sure sounds hearty, love the look of it!! :)

Special Sauce said...

This looks so very good! I'll be making it soon, as I've got extra lunches to pack now that school's in again! YUM.

Manggy said...

Beautiful! I'd add beans, cause I love tomato-ed beans :) (and to kick up the protein)

Anonymous said...

I don't know about giving up my carnivorous ways, but I would be happy eating this hoagie!

Dori said...

Yummy, my veggie-head boyfriend would love this...and, honestly, I would love it too :) It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! My hospital is fairly large too but being in the South, we don't have the healthiest of fare in our cafeteria. But we do have a 24 hr McDonalds! :( I would love to have a sandwich like that sometime!

Fiber said...

Namrantha - It definitely is. I had one for lunch yesterday and I was full until late afternoon!

Saucy - I only wish I could have dropped off a "Not for You" bag.

Manggy - I did consider that when I made it, but decided to leave them out. You could definitely add them, though, to make a much heartier sandwich.

Chuck - I don't know, this is pretty tasty! =)

Meeso - let me know if you try it!!

Hippy RN - it's crazy how hospitals do that, isn't it?? You should see some of the bacon burgers we serve at ours. I was also at the Cleveland Clinic, in the cardiac building, where they had McDonald's, Starbucks, AND Pizza Hut.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks fantastic. I saw the shroom and thought it was tofu...I think i'll try it with the tofu.

V said...

I tried it yesterday when few of my girlfriends came over. Served it deli style with a bowl of soup and baked pita chips. It was amazing.
The flavors reminded me of the sandwiches I used to eat at mom-and-pop bakeries in India. I want to make it again and the next time add paneer "indian cottage cheese" cubes to it as it was in India.
Thank you

Fiber said...

Rick - that's a fantastic idea! Let me know how it turns out.

V - So glad you liked it!! I love your variation ideas too! Paneer is very tasty!

Anonymous said...

you forgot the protein; try seitan or tempeh and fogettabout the shrooms.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time in a long time that i wished i could eat bread. That looks awesome. I guess i could make it and put it on rice pasta.

Unknown said...

throw some tempeh in there and get a little protein going!