Saturday, February 10, 2007

Weekend Stir-fry

Wow - thanks for all of the compliments and comments on the "Behind the Apron" roundup. It was so much fun putting it all together, and it was lovely to have a chance to see who's behind some of my favorite food blogs, as well as some new ones.

Much like last week's "Clean out your fridge" Vegetable Soup, this is a perfect way to use up all of the week's leftover vegetables. I started this much like I did the soup - by digging out all of the veggies that were left in the crisper. Although I've put down what vegetables I've used, I'm confident you can use whatever veggies you have on hand.

The sauce is somewhat spicy, due to the addition of the chili garlic sauce. If you're heat sensitive, I'd cut back a tad on the amount added. On the 28 Cooks' heat scale, this rates about a 3 out of 5.

Weekend Stir-fry

Weekend Stir-fry
2 c eggplant, diced
1 c carrots, diced
1 c celery, diced
1 c green pepper, diced
1/2 c scallions, white part only, diced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp chili-garlic sauce
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
1 tbsp warm water
1/2 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp water

Saute vegetables in small amounts of sesame oil in a wok over high heat until done to desired texture. (I did the vegetables that take the longest to cook, such as carrots, celery, and green pepper, in the wok together. I then placed them in a covered dish while I did the softer vegetables) Combine soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, and 1 tbsp warm water in small bowl. Add to wok, and stir until it comes to a boil. Add cornstarch dissolved in water to wok, and stir for a few seconds until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat, add vegetables, and stir well to combine. Serve over rice or couscous.

7 comments:

Rachael said...

Mmmm, such a beautiful photo again! Makes me feel like I could pick up those chopsticks and a piece of bell pepper.

This looks sooo yummy! I love stir fry's, particularly since it can be so healthy as well as clean out the fridge

Anonymous said...

Do you take these photos yourself? They are remarkable. I really enjoy your site.

Sonya

Fiber said...

Rachel - thanks for the compliments. I love a good "cleaning out" dish.

Sonya - I do take them myself - thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

That looks like my kind of stir fry! Delicious looking picture.

Harmonia said...

Stir Fries are fun...I should do more...I go in spurts!

The Culinary Chase said...

I love stir fries as you can add just about any vegetable you like & if you have fussy eaters, this is a perfect way to disguise those unwanted vegetables! Cheers!

Unknown said...

WOW! that's fantastic!