Monday, February 19, 2007

Thai Carrot and Ginger Soup

I had a list of ingredients scratched down on a tattered piece of paper that's been sitting in my "to make" recipe stack for a few months. I didn't have any amounts listed, but simply a list of things I thought would make a great soup. I finally pulled it out this morning and started to work on it.

If you read through the ingredients, you'll know this can't help but be tasty. The fresh ginger and coconut milk kick up the taste of the carrots, and the cumin adds a completely different layer of flavor.

Thai Carrot and Ginger Soup

Thai Carrot and Ginger Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 (16 oz) bag baby carrots, diced OR
4 cups diced carrots
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32 oz) carton good vegetable stock
1 (15 oz) can coconut milk
1 tsp cumin
2" piece of ginger root, peeled and grated

Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and saute for 1 minute. Add carrots and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes, or until carrots are almost tender. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients, lower heat and cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Puree with hand blender or in batches in a blender until creamy. Return to pot and season to taste with salt and pepper.Serve garnished with sour cream and fresh cilantro.

8 comments:

Freya said...

Looks delicious! Cumin really is a wonderful spice!
Freya

Rachael said...

Mmmm, this looks lovely. I especially like how small the ingredient list is and how simple the prep goes. I never would have thought of adding cumin.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! I have actually never cooked with coconut milk before...I bet it adds a wonderful full flavor!

Vicki said...

This sounds wonderful. One question - what are the seedy crackers?

Fiber said...

Freya - you ain't lying. =) It's one of my favorite spices.

Rachael - other than the chopping, it's a fairly easy recipe to make. I think it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Chris - it absolutely does. It smells fantastic too!

Vicki - those are a new treat I found at the grocery store. They are Kettle Crisps Fully Loaded Pretzel chips. I absolutely adore them. I'm hoping to come up with a similar recipe.

kickpleat said...

i made a carrot and ginger soup last month but it was missing something...and i think coconut might have been the magic missing ingredient. i think it's time to try again! (i've also been drooling over your black bean pie everytime i pop by!)

Mindy said...

I think this is worthy candidate for the big bag of carrots in my refrigerator-
Coconut milk and ginger? mmmmmm...hmmm.

KleoPatra said...

Wow, that looks AWEsome!!!