Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lemon & Green Tea Granola

I've been craving homemade granola for a bit now, and I finally took the time to make it this week. There's something so satisfying about freshly made granola, and it's so cheap and easy, you'd be crazy to not make your own.

I've been mildly obsessed with using more tea in my cooking (see the Tea Glazed nuts) and I wanted to try it in granola. It came out quite tasty, and I think you'll enjoy this. It's perfect with soymilk (or cow's milk if you prefer) or sprinkle it in your favorite yogurt.

I also think this recipe could be used with a hundred different variations - use different tea or different combinations of grains. No matter what you use, I'm sure you'll love this homemade granola.

Lemon  & Green Tea Granola II

Lemon and Green Tea Granola
3 1/2 cups Bob's 7-Grain Rolled Oats Mix
1/4 c flax seed
1/4 c wheat bran
zest of 1 large lemon (about 1 tbsp)
juice of 1 large lemon (about 2 tbsp)
Tea from 2 green tea bags cut open
1/2 c honey
3 tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet with sides or a large roasting dish. In large bowl, combine all ingredients and stir well. Spread out in baking dish and place in oven. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring as little as possible, yet keeping it from burning, until nicely toasted. Do not overbake, as the more you bake, the less lemon flavor there will be. Cool. Enjoy with milk, stirred into yogurt, or however you enjoy your granola.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe, beautiful photo!

rosered said...

It looks like it has raisins in it, but they aren't in the ingredients. Am I imagining them?

bazu said...

That sounds so good! I have yet to make a homemade granola, but with recipes like yours, what's stopping me already??

Linda said...

i have yet to use tea in my cooking -- it's a very interesting idea. i can't wait to try. thanks so much for posting the recipe... it seems easy enough ;)

Rachael said...

My last trip to Trader Joe's brought me back with more nuts and grains than ever before, and every intention to make granola (not that I've actually made it yet). I love how simple and flavorful this recipe sounds, especially adding lemon zest. What a great idea to just use the tea straight.

If you're on a tea kick, you may have already seen Deb's Grean Tea Shortbread Cookies at smittenkitchen - they look great, though I couldn't find the green tea powder called for

cv said...

What an innovative idea! This sounds so fresh and light--not heavy like most granolas. Thanks! I can't wait to try it.

Dr.Gray said...

Something like this would really make this granola great - baking matcha. You can also easily find it.