Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Black Bean Pie

I was always in love with those little frozen pot pies when I was younger. That was the very essence of comfort food to me - warm goodness baked into a flaky pie shell. Although it's been years since I've had one of those, I do still crave those sometimes.

I've made this a few times and it never disappoints. Black beans were always my favorite bean, and combined with the melted cheese and the flaky pie crust, it makes such a winning combination. This recipe is super easy, and can also be premade and frozen.

Black Bean Pie 1

Black Bean Pie
1 tbsp olive oil
1 c onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small can green chilies, diced
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained
1/2 c salsa
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt or Adobo seasoning
2 pie shells, unbaked
2 c shredded cheese

Black Bean Pie II

Preheat oven to 325. Heat oil in large pan. Add onion and green pepper, and saute until tender. Add chilies, beans, salsa, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes. Place unbaked pie shell in deep dish pie pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese mixture on bottom. Pour in 1/2 of the bean mixture. Top with 1/3 of cheese, and pour in rest of beans. Cover with remaining cheese and pie shell. Place into oven and bake 45 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love savory pies. Not a huge fan of black beans, but am always willing to test the waters again...

But, I must say - TOTALLY love the 28 in the crust....

Joan said...

I love black beans, and all the other ingredients! I will make this recipe for sure. For non vegetarians, I think it would also be great with chicken added. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This. Sounds. Fabulous. Simple too. and the 28 inscribed in the top crust is a fun touch!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I love black beans and am always looking for new ways to eat 'em!

Anonymous said...

i am taco bell bean burrito addict.....somehow this looks so much better than those burritos...cant wait to try the recipe!! thanks for posting...

Freya said...

My husband saw this over my shoulder and wants me to make it for him! He loves black beans!

Toni said...

I love black beans, but never considered a pie of them. What a great idea! This looks so very yummy, and perfect for this time of the year. And I agree with chris about the "28" in the crust!

This also gives me an idea of what to do with my leftover chili, which I posted on my blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Rachael said...

Wow! This looks amazing. I am way into comfort food at the moment, since it has suddenly gotten so cold here on the east coast (I may or may not be eating some pasta alfredo at the moment). This looks much better than alfredo, though. I love that you baked the cheese into the crust and the salsa right into the beans. In my family we used to make something called mexican lasagne - layered casserole of corn chips, beans, salsa, spices, and cheese. This reminds me of it.

One last comment. I'm not very good at making pie crusts, but I do wonder if there's be a way to use cornmeal in this. Maybe use the ingredients as if you were making cornbread, except skimp on the milk or other liquid.

Regardless, I think I'll be making this for dinner tomorrow.

Heather said...

This looks awesome... now I totally want to add it to nezt week's menu. Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa said...

I'm a fan of pot pies, casseroles, etc. They always look so impressive and yours is no exception. Love the 28. Your recipe reminds me a of a black bean casserole I made. Yours looks easier tho - I can always go for that!

Special Sauce said...

Fiber, this looks fantastic. If I hadn't just made WonderBoy eat the rice-crusted bean pie 2 days in a row, this would be on for the weekend. As it is, I'll be eating it next week, I think. YUM.

evinrude said...

i love black beans too! i would always have one bowl of the beans itself when my father cooks it with pork ribs in a soup. i haven't had black beans in a pie before, but the photo already tells me it tastes fabulous!

Unknown said...

Hmm, this sounds sooo... tempting. I'm intrigued by the first photo as well. Clever girl.

Anonymous said...

I made this for dinner last night for me and my husband and it was delicious and very filling!

Thank you!

Sonya

Harmonia said...

Now that is pretty darn creative!

Ellen said...

Planning to make this tomorrow, probably in somem kind of "mini" form since a whole pie is probably too much for me. Thanks for the recipe, it looks great!

Ellen said...

Ok, so I made mini pies in a muffin tin. They're amazing! I made flaky cream cheese pie crust from scratch and mixed the grated cheese in with the bean mixture. I ate the first few too fast to take a pic, and they're frozen now, but next time I eat one I'll be sure to take one. I had some leftover filling, so I used it as sandwich filling today on a bun. SOOOOO good! This is definitely a favourite of mine that I'll be making often!

KleoPatra said...

Wow. Gorgeous. Looks wonderful wonderful wonderful!