Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pumpkin Mascarpone Pie and A Happy Thanksgiving

So before we get into the Holiday wishin' and the deliciousness of the pie I made for my family dinner, we have a winner to announce. The winner of the cookbook, picked with random.org, is Lynn from the blog "Nutrition.Health.Life!" Congratulations! I hope you'll enjoy this cookbook!

Now onto the pie. Let me tell you - this pie is absolutely delicious. I'm not a huge pumpkin pie fan, but it's just one of those things that must be eaten on Thanksgiving. This year, I was commissioned with the making of the pie, so I thought I'd switch it up a bit and try a recipe that I saw in Bon Appetit. The spices in this pie are very tasty, and the addition of the lemon zest and juice add a certain "brightness" to it. Of course, the real fun comes in with the addition of the mascarpone cheese, which gives the pie a nice custardy feel. I definitely recommend giving this pie a try!

And before we get onto the recipe, I'd like to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving! I feel very blessed this year and am very thankful for the friends and family that I have. I'm also very thankful for my wonderful job and the role that I'm able to play, helping to keep kids safe. I hope that wherever you are and whoever you're with, that you enjoy the day and have a very lovely Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin Mascarpone Pie

Pumpkin Mascarpone Pie
Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe

1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
1 c packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp fresh lemon zest
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 (8 oz) container mascarpone cheese (or make your own)

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a pie crust and transfer to a 9-inch glass pie dish. For filling, using an electric mixer, beat pumpkin and sugar together in a large bowl until well combined. Add eggs and next 8 ingredients. Beat until well blended. Add mascarpone cheese and beat just until mixture is smooth. Transfer filling to prepared pie crust. Bake until custard is set, about 55 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool. Enjoy!

2 comments:

LYNN STIFF said...

How exciting! Thank you so much! Do I need to give you any information?

Your pie recipe looks delicious and unique...I have never heard of putting lemon juice or zest in a pumpkin pie! I just made pumpkin pie for my family yesterday, but I am tempted to try this verison out sometime soon to see how that lemon flavor plays in.

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin pie is one of my favourites. I love trying out new recipes and this sounds great!