Monday, November 17, 2008

Caribbean Habanero Pineapple Salsa

So since the Habenero Garlic Salsa was such a success, I decided I wanted to try another variation to use up more of the habaneros I was gifted with recently. I had some leftover jerk paste from the Jerk-roasted Sweet Potatoes, and I thought it may go perfectly in a salsa. Since I was giving the double whammy of heat, both from the habaneros and the jerk paste, I threw in some crushed pineapple for a lighter sweeter taste.

It was a match made in heaven. Now don't get me wrong - the pineapple does add a sweet component to balance out some of the heat, but this salsa is hot! Of course, it may have something to do with the full cup of habaneros and the hot jerk seasoning paste, but this is a fire sauce. Yet, it has such a great flavor that it's almost addictive.

This would also be a perfect holiday gift for those chili-heads on your gift list. Check back on Wednesday for my Top 10 recipes for holiday gift giving.

Caribbean Habanero Pineapple Salsa

Caribbean Habanero Pineapple Salsa

4 cups tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
1 cup fresh habanero peppers, destemmed
1 cup onion, roughly chopped
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 tbsp jerk seasoning paste
1/2 c crushed pineapple

In blender, combine tomatoes, habaneros, onion, tomato sauce, and jerk seasoning paste. Process until chunky yet well blended. Pour into a medium sized saucepan and simmer over low heat for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in crushed pineapple and simmer for another 4-5 minutes. This can be placed in canning jars and refrigerated.

4 comments:

NWJR said...

Love the photo.

Sara said...

This sounds great, I bet it's really spicy!

Anonymous said...

it looks very good, and i loove habanero!

kickpleat said...

i've got a huge bag of hot peppers on the counter. i was thinking of making hot sauce but this looks pretty divine! i love the idea of pineapple and hot peppers.