Monday, June 12, 2006

Spicy Black Beans

I have an intense love affair with black beans. I've loved them since I was a child, but our relationship was solidified when I lived in Guatemala to teach English. Black beans, or frijoles negros, were something we had every single day. They were served at every meal in the guesthouse I lived in, at every restaurant, and they would be the first thing offered to you if you were visiting someone's house.

These are one of my favorite preparations of frijoles negros. It's a cross between a soup and a side dish, and the flavors take me right back to Guatemala. Serve in burritos, over nachos, or by themselves. If you're heat sensitive, decrease the amount of chipolte peppers.

Spicy Black Beans

Spicy Black Beans
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c vidalia onion, diced
1/2 c celery, diced
1/2 c carrots, diced
1/4 c green bell pepper, diced
3 canned chipolte peppers
1 tbsp adobo sauce from canned peppers
4 (15oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (to taste)

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots, and bell pepper to pan. Cover and lower heat, and cook for 15 minutes, until vegetables and tender and onion is translucent. While vegetables are cooking, puree 1 can of black beans and 1 cup vegetable stock in food processor. Add pureed beans, rinsed beans, and the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!

7 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Love the sound of this.

Dr. Melissa West said...

This looks fantastic, especially in tacos or burritos. I love your experience in Guatemala with them.

My daughter has always loved black beans as well. She eats them straight out of the can... just like popcorn!

jasmine said...

These look so good!

I think I have all the ingredients on hand...perhaps supper tomorrow night..

j

Anonymous said...

Lunch today! Nothing beats black beans!

Anonymous said...

The leftover spicy black beans madea a wonderful lunch for me today.

Thanks Fiber!

Anonymous said...

It's 20 degrees below zero fahrenheit today, with a wind chill equalling 41 degrees below zero. I think I need this. No chipotle, so I'll up the cayenne and chili powder.

Thanks. I always look forward to receiving your feed in my inbox.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »