Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Morning Bran Muffins

I'm back, and I've finally learned to love again after the loss of my dear refrigerator. You never really realize just how much you keep in there until it's gone and you go to reach for it.

As my faithful readers know, I'm a huge fan of quick breakfast foods - something that can be grabbed and thrown in a bag to eat on the way to work. These muffins are perfect for that.

Not only are these muffins quick and easy to grab, but they are also loaded with heart and body-healthy ingredients. They've got wheat bran, flax seed meal, wheat flour, are relatively low in oil and sweeteners, and the addition of the coffee helps keep them super moist.

Morning Glory Muffins

Morning Bran Muffins

1 c cold coffee
1/3 c molasses
2 eggs (or egg substitute)
1 c soymilk
1/2 c light olive oil
1/2 c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 c wheat bran
1 c white flour
1/2 c wheat flour
1/2 c flax seed meal
1/2 c light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 c raisins or dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350. (While combining ingredients, I soak the raisins or cranberries in 1 c hot water to plump them up. Drain, and add at end of recipe) Combine coffee, molasses, eggs, soymilk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla in a large bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, combine bran, flours, flax seed meal, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Stir into wet ingredients. Stir in soaked raisins or cranberries. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full, or fill 3 greased mini loaf pans 2/3 full. Place into preheated oven and bake, 20-25 minutes for muffins, and 30-35 minutes for mini loaves. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven, remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.

14 comments:

Special Sauce said...

And I have to wait two entire hours to get one of these little gems?

Life? SO not fair.

Anonymous said...

I received the muffin...I sampled the muffin...and then I promptly shoved the muffin in my mouth because it was so good. YAY for bran!!!

gray la gran said...

yeah! you're back!

Anonymous said...

the muffins looks delicious..Love them..

Anonymous said...

Ain't nuthin' but a muffin!

Dr. Melissa West said...

Welcome back fiber, you were missed. Those muffins look fantastic! Coffee for moisure! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for breakfast, Fiber. It was very enjoyable. I almost wish I had 2 instead of 1.

Anonymous said...

No, Muffin Boy, you are mistaken. They are much more than just a muffins. When these muffins are in the oven, people start shovin' for the lovin'.

Anonymous said...

It's a special day. I got two muffins instead of one. I didn't even have to shove anyone for the muffin love I'm getting.

Anonymous said...

These look extra mosit and good.

Anonymous said...

I just made these today and they are great. The batter made a lot, 18 muffins and I had 2 muffins worth of batter left over. I'll need to freeze 1/2, because I have bananas on their death bed and the banana oatmeal bread is next on my list.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the great recipe. The muffins are delicious. Moist and healthy - great combination!

I just found your site and can't wait to try some of the other recipes.

Anonymous said...

What a great site vets that do cataract surgery on exotic animals Zyban antidepress Nail dryer uv

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read avis car rental Huge+massive+enormous+tits Attorney incorporation services in delaware Photos of jenna jameson Caster ladderback chair columbus golf online poker tournament Embers restaurtant san diego ca 1993 isuzu rodeo transmission computer Used cadillac alabama opt in email marketing erotic lingerie Busty cheerleader lesbians Ice instant cellulite eraser Confir roof racks run flat tires Salix wood cabinets Ginger rosemary lavender and hair loss