Monday, June 26, 2006

Peppered Parmesan Thins

I love making crackers and flatbreads almost as much as I like making dips and spreads. Like my polenta crackers, these are exceptionally easy to make and take about 25 minutes in total. They can also be taken in a thousand different directions - add fresh or dried herbs, or try a different cheese. No matter how you make them, they're delicious!

(As a sidenote, I'm a huge peppercorn fan, so those who are sensitive to it might want to use the lesser amount)

Peppered Parmesan Thins

Peppered Parmesan Thins
1/2 c white flour
3 tbsp butter
1 egg yolk (or egg substitute)
1/2-1 tsp freshly cracked peppercorns
2/3 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
pinch of ground mustard powder
pinch of salt

Place flour in a medium sized bowl. With 2 forks or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add remaining ingredients, and combine well. Roll dough into a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400. Remove dough from refrigerator and slice dough 1/4" thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and slide into oven. Bake 10 minutes, until starting to brown. Cool and serve!

8 comments:

NWJR said...

As always, these look phenomenal.

Dr. Melissa West said...

Everything you cook looks totally phenomenal. I never even thought of making my own crackers.. but I think you may have just motivated me!

Special Sauce said...

Cheeeeeese!!! Cheeeeese! In convenient cracker form! I am so there.

PS- how did you like the "loaf"?

Michele said...

I don't think you've ever posted anything that didn't make me want to try the recipe right away... these look SO GOOD! I love to make crackers.

Catherine said...

Wow - so easy and I bet they are delish!

Anonymous said...

Okay, these are a little naughty but, WOW are they good. My place smells delicious. I've always made dips and spreads (I'm a hummus girl too!), but never thought about making the chips,crackers, or flatbread. Thank you once again!

Anonymous said...

Okay, these are a little naughty but, WOW are they good. My place smells delicious. I've always made dips and spreads (I'm a hummus girl too!), but never thought about making the chips,crackers, or flatbread. Thank you once again!

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Poker shareware holdem patents Wheels for honda ridgeline Microsoft office certification distance canada online credit report Cutie the chick ringtones evolutions of internet advertising Tramadol 2bultram colon cancer new drug