Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sour Cherry Clafouti

Since I have the unfortunate pleasure of being allergic to all fruits except for citrus and berries, I miss out on the fresh bounty of summer's best. Thankfully, I'm able to eat most fruits after they've been cooked, so I don't completely miss out on good fruit.

When my neighbor E brought over a huge bag of sour cherries, I immediately started searching for a recipe. Enter this month's edition of Vegetarian Times. There is a lovely feature on cherries, and 5 different recipes to try. This recipe is adapted from the Mini Cherry Clafouti recipe, and is delicious. I must admit this is my first time making a clafouti, which turns out to be a lovely little pudding-cake I think would be great for dessert, or even breakfast.

Cherry Clafouti

Cherry Clafouti
2 large eggs (or egg substitute)
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c flax seed meal
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 c soymilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
2 cups pitted fresh cherries, halved
1 tbsp sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Pit and halve cherries. If sour, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of sugar, and set aside. In bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Add flax seed meal, flour, and baking powder, and whisk well. Slowly add in milk, whisking constantly, until smooth batter forms. Stir in extracts.
Place cherries in the bottom of a greased 8" cake pan. Pour batter over top, and place into oven. Bake 25-30 minutes, until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

11 comments:

Special Sauce said...

And who is ecstatic that she still has 3 quarts of cherries in her freezer, and more on the tree to try this recipe?

Just guess...

strangelittlemama said...

That looks soooooo good! Yum.

Anonymous said...

Why didnt I get any cherries, or any of this wonderful clafouti to try? I feel so lonely...and so does Emma.

Special Sauce said...

Because, LJ, you don't live across the parking lot from me. But if you beat up P's mom, she'll share her bounty...

Anonymous said...

Clafouti is so wonderful. Beautiful picture.

Anonymous said...

cherries are definitely something to look forward to...especially if they're in clafouti.

Jody from VegChic said...

Funny. I read veg times and remember wondering what exactly the clafouti is. (I didn't see a picture.) When cherries are on sale here, I'll give it a try.

BTW - I made your ginger lemonade cooler for a friend (minus the mint) this weekend. It was very good!

Tonight I am hoping to mix up the black bean cakes so I can make them tomorrow for dinner.

Plume said...

Ho goody goody, a dairy-free, possibly egg-free clafouti!
A dream of it...
I must try it!

Anonymous said...

I just made this (with skim milk instead of soy) - YUM. Thanks for the great recipe!

Unknown said...

Made this last week after finding a bucket of sour cherries and trying them for the first time!! Delicious, thanks for sharing :)

Doug Barnard said...

Tried making something similar to this before but couldn't get the food texture quite right. This recipe worked perfect, thanks!