Friday, April 19, 2013

Grilled Enchilada Pizza and a Garden Update

So ever since we discovered how easy it was to make grilled pizza, we've been obsessed with thinking of different varieties. And since it's Pantry Week around these parts, we really needed to become creative. What's Pantry Week, you say? Well, you know how you always seem to have random things stocked in your pantry that you never seem to use? Dried beans and sauces and grains and all other sorts of things that just get pushed back when you buy new groceries. Or, if you're like me, you buy the same item every time at the store and then realize you already have 3 of them in your pantry. (For me, these items are red curry paste and tomato sauce). So during Pantry week, we can only eat "from the Pantry." Ideally, we don't purchase any groceries during that week, unless we are completely out of fresh vegetables.

 So after making a survey of the pantry this week, I realized we had almost all the ingredients for enchiladas in the house, sans tortillas. We made vegetarian chilaquiles one night, which were incredible and dead easy. (Seriously, simply layer tortilla chips with generous amounts of enchilada sauce and whatever beans and veggies you have on hand. Top with cheese, bake in the oven for 15 minutes and viola!) I realized that we still had enough ingredients left over to do something with, and the idea of an Enchilada Pizza was born.

It couldn't be easier. Simply make the pizza dough I introduced last week, to which I added cumin and crushed red pepper. Then coat with enchilada sauce and top with whatever floats your boat. We used black beans, chopped jalapenos, chopped onion, halved cherry tomatoes, and corn. After it was all good and cooked, we topped with a generous amount of roughly chopped cilantro. Man, was it tasty! Oh, and took me about 30 minutes to throw together. That's almost too easy!


 Now let's talk garden, shall we? I love this time in the garden. Not only are the seeds and seedlings
we planted doing extremely well, but they seem to grow almost overnight. Every morning while I let the dog out, I take a walk and survey the new growth. It's amazing.

Our peas are growing extremely well, but my favorite plants to look at are definitely the cabbages. We have several different varieties growing, including napa and pak choi.I just love the way the plants are growing - I can almost imagine what the full-sized plants will look like.


Well that's all for today, folks! Happy Friday, y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.