Friday, April 26, 2013

Mushroom Gyros

At some point, when the weather gets warmer, we start treating our grill as if it's the only cooking tool we have. Seriously, everything gets grilled. I think we grilled 80% of everything we got from our CSA last year. And that was only because we preserved the rest. We've already started with grill-a-mania this year, so don't be surprised if you see a ton of recipes that are grill friendly popping up regularly. And don't fret if you are grill-less - you can always broil or saute things instead.

One of the things that makes my life easier is a grill tray. Actually, I have several, depending on what I'm grilling, but I have a flat one that covers most of the grill and is my most used one. (looks kinda like this, but a bit heavier) I love to grill almost any kind of vegetable on it, from mushrooms to brussel sprouts to asparagus.

 
When I was trying to think of what I wanted to make for dinner last night, I knew I wanted to use up some mushrooms that had been lingering in the fridge. One of the things I love to get at a local sandwich shop is a mushroom gyro. Although they usually look at me funny when I order a "gyro, no meat, but with mushrooms instead," it's really quite delicious. We decided to try making them at home, and I don't know if I can ever eat one at a restaurant again. They were absolutely delicious!


The mushrooms take on a lovely grilled and meaty texture, making them hearty and just perfect as the start of this wrap. We decided to make it even healthier and do a lettuce wrap, which turned out to be wonderfully crisp and light. Topped off with fresh tomatoes, red onion, and of course, tzatziki sauce, this might just be one of my favorite recipes yet of 2013.

You really should give these a try! You'll thank me!



Mushroom Gyros
Serves 2

4 cups quartered baby bella mushrooms
1/8 c olive oil
1/2 tbsp oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt

Tzatziki Sauce8 oz plain yogurt
1/3 c diced cucumber
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp salt
pinch sugar
1/4 c fresh dill, minced

Romaine lettuce leaves
fresh diced tomatoes
Slivered red onions
Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Wash and quarter mushrooms. Add olive oil, oregano, garlic, and salt and stir well to combine. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the tzatziki sauce. Allow to chill for a bit for flavors to come together. Preheat grill and grill pan to medium high heat. Grill mushrooms for 5-7 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat. Assemble wraps on lettuce with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and top with parsley.

No comments: