Monday, August 27, 2007

Sweet & Spicy Walnuts

So here it is - the second of my attempts at a different type of glazed nut. I thought I'd switch it up with these walnuts and do a combination sweet and spicy. The brown sugar adds a wonderful dimension of flavor, which is kicked up by the chili powder and other spices.

These, as well as the other 4 variations, would be great in gift baskets for a foodie, or a great finger food at your next get-together.

Sweet and Spicy Walnuts

Sweet & Spicy Walnuts

1 c raw walnuts (or roasted and unsalted)
1/4 c brown sugar
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of pepper and/or cayenne pepper

In large pan, combine walnuts and sugar over medium high heat. Stir frequently until sugar starts to melt. Lower heat, and stir continuously for 3-4 minutes, or until sugar starts to fully melt and cover nuts. Add spices and continue to cook for an additional minute or two, until nuts are well glazed and seasonings are well mixed in. Be careful not to burn! Pour onto sheet of wax paper on a cooling rack, and spread out. Allow to cool. Store in tightly-sealed container.

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

Walnuts are my favourite and I'm definitely going to try your sweet and spicy version.

The Culinary Chase said...

With cayenne & chili I'm sure this packs a bit of punch! Thank goodness for sugar! These certainly aren't your typical beer nuts! :)
Cheers!

funwithyourfood said...

mmm i love the sweet and spicy flavor combo!
I've been living out of my pantry for the last week... i never realized how much stuff i have in there!

Teddy

Anonymous said...

sweet and spicy. sounds like my kind of nut.

Dr. Melissa West said...

I ADORED the last set of glazed nuts! Thanks for another one. I love to serve them as snack food at my cooking classes! They are so easy to whip up and quite impressive, I think.

Chris said...

Looks delicious! I could eat a whole lots of these nuts!

kelli said...

These are definitely something I am going to make in my classroom (hope no one is allergic)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, how I adore glazed nuts, and the addition of cumin and oregano is perfect!

Anonymous said...

I made these for christmas eve nibbles - they were a hit! thanks for the recipes - I'm a regular reader

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

These look so good. I will definitely have to try them.

Patricia Wunder said...

I didn't have good luck with these. Sugar wouldn't melt. I finally put a little water in which caused it to melt somewhat. They are in the oven now seeing if I can get a glaze instead of a sugary coating. Taste is great.