Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Asian Grain Burgers

I admit it - I love to go grocery shopping. I would gladly go every day if I could. I don't even mind driving an hour to go to a better store. I make biweekly trips to my nearest Trader Joe's and Wegmans, which are at least an hour away. And I love it. My shopping style is this - I'll usually have a list of what I need, but I always pick up at least 1 or 2 things I haven't used before or have no idea what to do with. Then I come home and try to figure out what to do with them. Of course that makes for an overloaded pantry at times. I don't think there's a food blogger out there who doesn't have a pantry full of all sorts of fun things. Mine is full of spices, grains, pasta, canned goods, etc.

So when I saw this Pantry Raid challenge over at Project Foodie, I knew I wanted to join in. I always have a ton of grains in my pantry - millet, amaranth, quinoa, barley, rice, etc. I wanted to use at least 1 of them so I decided to make a vegetarian burger. Millet is a very healthy grain and is high in B vitamins, iron, and the protein-building amino acid, lysine. Amaranth is also a great grain, full of calcium and iron, as well as lysine, and is also gluten-free.

These are relatively easy to make and freeze well, so you can always have them on hand. They are great between a bun or in a wrap, or simply serve them over a bed of lettuce. The beets give them a great color and flavor, and even if you don't like beets, I promise you won't even taste them. Go ahead - give these a try!

Asian Grain Burgers

Asian Grain Burgers
Makes 6 burgers

1/2 c amaranth, uncooked
1/2 c millet, uncooked
1 c fresh beets, shredded
1/2 c carrot, shredded
1/4 c onion, diced
3/4 c mushrooms, chopped
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
1/2 c cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce

Prepare amaranth and millet as you normally would. (I normally toast both grains over high heat for a few minutes until golden brown, then add 1 cup water and a touch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cover. Stir once or twice. For millet, simmer until all water is absorbed and millet is tender and fluffy, about 15-20 minutes. Amaranth takes less time, about 8-10 minutes, and will have the consistency of Cream of wheat when done.) Cool grains slightly and add to a large mixing bowl. Add veggies and lemon to bowl. In a food processor, add remaining ingredients and process until well mixed. Add mixture to bowl and stir until well combined. With slightly-oiled hands, form into 6 patties. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to firm up. To cook, heat skillet over medium high heat. Lightly spray with cooking oil and add patties. Cook for about 5 minutes, flip and cook other side for 4-5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pantry Raid! And I've been looking for some interesting uses for beets so this is on the must try list for sure....

bazu said...

How interesting! I definitely need to raid my pantry too. And I love the color on your burgers!

kickpleat said...

wow, the beets make such a great colour! this looks so good.

Fiber said...

FoodiePam - so was I. I had a few in the fridge that I wanted to use up. Perfect use!

Bazu - thanks!

Kickpleat - It does give it a great color and makes them nice and moist.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Ooh, we'd have a great time shopping together! I too love going to the market and experimenting with new items. I have all of the ingredients in my pantry for these burgers and can't wait to try them! It's a beautiful pic too.

Anonymous said...

The picture is incredible and the combination of ingredients sound tantalizing! Once again you've taken a challnge and uped to ante.

Go 28cooks... and please come to my house and cook!!!

Summit Chaser....

Dr. Melissa West said...

Impressive!

Gaetano's Red Bank said...

allthingsgaetanos.blogspot.com

Vanessa said...

Oooo, I've never had amaranth but I have some millet in my pantry that I've been meaning to use.

Love this!

Lindsay I-F said...

i made these and honestly i don't know if i just didn't do it right but they weren't very good and super crumbly

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog you got here. I'd like to read a bit more concerning this matter. Thanx for giving this material.
Joan Stepsen
New technology gadgets